Restoring a 1965 "Flymo" hovering lawn mower

I don’t understand why he reproduced the big label on the panel but kept the faded colors. I can’t imagine that they were the colors when it came out 50 years ago.

1 Like
3 Likes

Ah yes, it’s not stocks and shares, it"s not plant and machinery, it’s politicians that give you the best return on investment every time.

(version of what Greg Palast said I think though others say similar)

3 Likes

I used one for a couple of years, in the 60s. You had to carry it over non-lawn terrain. Also, how do you adjust for height?

1 Like

Did you notice this bit?

Jamal’s uncle.

6 Likes

I hadn’t, though it is right up there in the least surprising revelations ever! Obviously arms sales have always been the most corrupt thing in the world ever, particularly when you factor in a client state whose ruling class was installed for the benefit of the one whose manufactured goods are being bought. This is how America took the imperial English idea in India and ran with it.

Saudi arms deals are so corrupt that even some English officials got some heat from them. Its pretty impressive with Lockheed that they managed to cause a scandal in nearly every rich country they did business in. Germany usually keeps stuff bottled up well.

6 Likes

I used one of these things when I was a kid. It had a two stroke engine and i had to mix oil with the gas. It was scary. I’m amazed I still gots my feets.

2 Likes

If your lawn had rough or bald spots, it was no go. ask me how I know.

3 Likes

I was remembering the ads for these, and when maneuverability was actually a selling point, when looking for a new lawnmower last year. Finally had to go to a repair place that sold refurbished used ones to find one with flip-over reversible arms, as everything new has straight-out-at-one-end arms, some of which you can’t even lift or lower slightly as you push & pull as they have no hinge at all, they’re just completely rigid. Maybe it’s for safety (and I’m no bitch-about-the-nanny-state libertoonian type) but I’ve gotten so used to that flexibility, and never chopped any toes (or fingers, or the cord) off, and just cannot make the adjustment to working with modern, rigid-armed pig mowers after all these years.

1 Like

You have to pay for narration or did I read that wrong?

No, don’t get one, someone I knew at school was mowing wet grass, he fell over backwards … he doesn’t have toes

So terrible it inspired an album: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Lockheed_and_the_Starfighters

2 Likes

I have a Flymo. It doesn’t really hover and takes a fair amount of effort to push it but then it’s a model with a grass bin so it’s heavier than the ones you can just fling around.

It has spacers that sit between the unit and the blade to set the cut height but there’s no way to adjust it on the fly(mo).

Probably not. Mine definitely does, and that coupled with the cutting radius being relatively small compared to the size of the unit means it would be very, very difficult to injure yourself whilst using it.

“set your controls for the heart of the earth
the silver machine is worth more than you’re worth…”

5 Likes

Yikes! If squeamish, don’t do a Google image search for that phrase.

I’m old enough to have had a set when I was 10-ish. After 1 or 2 games following the rules, we did what all 10 year olds did… throw it as high as possible straight up, then play chicken as it came down. Move you lose. No accidents, but so stupid.

2 Likes

I can image search it in my brain. Congratulations on surviving your childhood.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.