Retailers stop complaining about shoplifting, for reasons

ETA?

Sick Jim Carrey GIF

6 Likes

8 Likes

The only thing in dispute is the actual dollar amount, not the fact that the shoplifting is real issue. I don’t know what the dollar amount is, nor the percentage compared to other costs and haven’t suggested any estimates, so your contention is not accurate.

LOL at the link to the Walgreens stock. After repeated reprehensible experiences at my local Walgreens I finally wrote a formal complaint. I got an email promising they were so sorry and that somebody would contact me within two days. Nobody ever did. I proceeded to call every Walgreens and CVS within 10 miles, and I transferred all of my RX to the one CVS where a human actually picked up in the pharmacy dept. What a difference, let me tell you.

8 Likes

It depends what you mean by a real issue. I don’t think anyone would argue that shoplifting doesn’t exist, but the dollar amount is what determines whether it was a significant problem to the extent the companies were claiming.

We all know most places have some murders in them. That doesn’t mean people are automatically right when they talk about crime being rampant here or there.

10 Likes

Yeah, Johnny Marr’s band was fuckin’ awesome :smile: Shame the lyricist turned out to be a bell-end.

8 Likes

I like that word! Worth remembering.

6 Likes

Thank you pointing that out, I missed @TheMetalPedant’s coinage in their comment. Top Portmanteauing.

2 Likes

Everyone hates Morrissey!

game of thrones khaleesi GIF

11 Likes

Truth This Is True GIF by Ford

11 Likes

:thinking:

9 Likes

I Mean Law And Order GIF by SVU

8 Likes

One thing always absent from these conversations is the fact that shrinkage, whether shoplifting or employee theft is already baked into the business model for the mega corporations.

They expect a certain amount to occur, and they factor that into their pricing of all their items. $10,000 of theft from a store with $10,000,000 turnover is 0.1%. And… the big stores are insured. To the point that they have to decide whether to file a claim on the theft or not. It may wind up being cheaper to eat the loss than reporting it and having premiums go up even higher the next year than the actual value of the theft.

10 Likes

9 Likes

During what I imagine was a pretty big downturn in non-internet shopping, post-covid. Now that they’ve closed a bunch of retail outlets, and gotten the anti-shoplifting legislation they wanted, it’ll be interesting to see what their new narratives are…

Given that wage theft is more than twice as big as every other form of theft combined, and these retail associations were claiming that shoplifting was almost twice the amount of wage theft - that right there, even before it was revealed they had completely made up the numbers, should have made people question their claims.

8 Likes

Burglary? Somebody was living in an Old Navy?

The common-law definition of burglary has several elements:
Breaking and entering
of a residence
at night-time
to commit a felony.

1 Like

Oxford does not say it has to be a residence or at night, and Merriam-Webster explicitly specifies a structure such as a house or commercial building. So robert at least has the meaning right in English, the language most of us are speaking here.

Wikipedia does give your common law definition but also notes it has been expanded in most jurisdictions.

7 Likes

The store I was working at definitely saw an uptick in theft around covid that seems to have stayed up. Or at least an uptick in thieves not giving a fuck about being seen stealing. Which came with an increased belligerence when confronted. But I also know executives love themselves a convenient excuse to cut hours, demand more law enforcement, raise prices, etc.

2 Likes

I thought burglary meant someone was in the building at the time and robbery meant nobody was there. Don’t know where I got that, though.
And I just looked it up and I had it exactly backwards. According to this, anyway:

burglary involves entering a home or another building illegally, whether or not something is stolen, while robbery involves taking property from a person through threats or fear of harm.

4 Likes

You Jammy Bugger.

My local pharmacy (small, market-town-type, UK) has always had a sign on the door saying to give them three days to fill a 'scrip.
Now that our local GP has upgraded their computer system, it takes fucking FIVE.
I put my Dad’s (he’s 87) 'scrip in on a Monday, then I have to queue at the GP on a Friday when it’s still not there because, apparently, although the GP has signed it off, it also needs an electronic signature.
WTAF? Now a computer has to sign the thing as well?

My Dad takes 14 different pills every ruddy day. Now I have to make sure I order them a fortnight in advance!

/rant over, as you were, everyone x

10 Likes