Turns out the shoplifting crisis is largely media hype

Originally published at: Turns out the shoplifting crisis is largely media hype | Boing Boing

7 Likes
28 Likes

Shocked Futurama GIF

18 Likes

wizrd-of-oz-pay-no-attention

17 Likes

More fuel for the “fake news” group.

2 Likes

source

5 Likes

Yep. Just like Portland burned down and now resembles a settlement out of Mad Max.

18 Likes

With it becoming more and more obvious that capitalism is a failed system, I´m suprised that not more people shoplift.

4 Likes

I’m sitting on a throne of human skulls RIGHT NOW

14 Likes

I love the “we’re making up completely wild numbers out of thin air” thing that the retail associations are doing. I mean, the California retail association was claiming more organized theft in two California cities than actually exists in the entire country. Their numbers amounted to a claim that 1/4 of all retail was being stolen by theft rings in the SF Bay Area, which is hilarious. In reality, retailers are still losing more money from paperwork errors than organized theft. It’s all pure shenanigans.

And this supposed spike in theft gets trumpeted by right-wing outlets like Fox “news” to suggest everything’s falling apart, when in fact the only crime that’s gone up in the last couple years has been murder. And while that’s been used as proof that the BLM movement has somehow hurt policing (or evidence of failure of left-wing policies, even though it’s happened everywhere), that’s very clearly a result of the massive spike in gun-buying that happened at the start of the pandemic, as idiots everywhere decided civilization must be headed to a “Mad Max”/zombie apocalypse style collapse and they needed to be ready. Ready to shoot a friend/family member/neighbor in an argument, it turns out, not rampaging hordes.

14 Likes

You must be a one-percenter; all I can afford is this love seat of tibias.

10 Likes

Eh, most shop lifting and theft is done by employees. And I say that having worked retail in the past, and stole from the company. I only say this thanks to statute of limitations passing and the company no longer being in service.

I was young and stupid, but know better now :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I lost track of how many times DC was under attack, on fire, suffering from a cell phone coverage blackout, etc during the BLM marches. I live a couple blocks from the BLM Plaza, and the only times things got scary were when the Feds were out attacking people for a Photo Op!

8 Likes

Could you not even afford the matching ottoman of fibula?

6 Likes

Argh! I am a mere 9 minutes too late. Well played.
But my ottoman was going to be made of metatarsi, y’see. (As it’s a foot rest.)

I got nothing else. “Pillow of patellas” just seems uncomfortable.

9 Likes

Do you not have a humerus occasional table?

8 Likes

My table is humerus, on occasion, but my nightstand is quite sternum.

8 Likes

Thank goodness the fall of Portland was all just a femur dream.

7 Likes

These puns….

11 Likes

Blame it on the marrow-ana.

7 Likes