Retired educator teaches youth geometry and math through quilting, and they love it

Originally published at: Retired educator teaches youth geometry and math through quilting, and they love it | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Next up, cooking as chemistry!

Turns out, all those ‘lesser’ housewifery activities are, in fact, based on high level skills.

22 Likes

And

14 Likes

Word I Agree GIF by INTO ACTION

11 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Which housewives knew all along!

10 Likes

This lady is strangely similar to the other master quilters I know: Badass!

If you don’t have one in your life yet go find a seamstress and spend time with them.

5 Likes

Kind of funny how most expensive projects back in the day had women working as the failsafe, like continuity in film making, eh? :thinking:

11 Likes

I remember reading a Sunday comic strip in HS in which one the main characters was a housewife reentering the paid workforce. The interviewer, a man, asked if she had any practical job experience. She ran down a list of managing an annual budget without going over, managing subordinates, maintaining a tight schedule, and meeting strict deadlines.

As she ran down the list, there were thought bubbles of her taking care of her family. And I was thinking: “yeah, of course! Makes total sense.” It’s stuck with me all these years.

In the last panel she was offered the job.

12 Likes

I wish that real life was more like that comic strip, where that kind of labor was actually valued… sadly, it’s often not the case.

11 Likes

Sewing is hard! Requires fine motor skills and 4-dimensional planning and visualization. I’ve been trying to teach myself so I can make costumes and doll clothes. It’s been a long, slow slog. Now that COVID restrictions are lifting, I think I’ll sign up for a class.

8 Likes

I do my best to incorporate that into my own hiring decisions. Right now I have a really good subordinate, better than me. I’m actively working to get her the experience she needs to move to the next level. I’d be fortunate and proud if she becomes my boss one day.

9 Likes

Thanks for making things a little better in the world then!

Way To Go Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

9 Likes

… applied topology.
– Kathy, Empress of Transadelphia

Do. It.

5 Likes

A truly wonderful thing! And then this:

season 3 club spongebob GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

10 Likes

Baking is science. Cooking is art.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.