Retired Navy SEAL explains how to prepare for dangerous situations

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/11/retired-navy-seal-explains-how.html

1 Like

Know before you go.

Roger That!

11 Likes

I prepare for dangerous situations by leaving dangerous situations.

They can be dangerous all by them damn selves.

31 Likes

I had a boss once who was a former Navy SEAL. Awesome guy to work for. No bullshit, get it done attitude. He told a story about a security clearance interview he had once where they asked him if had ever killed anybody.

He replied back with a straight face “What the hell do you think?”

12 Likes

Those guys know everything.

14 Likes

Preparation is fine, but it’s unnecessary if you have sufficient raw cowardice.

6 Likes

You have crafted:
-2, -2 Newspaper Bat
Improvised Ceramic Armor Breastplate, AC8
+0, -1 Roll of Quarters in Sock Flail

15 Likes

When in danger, don’t forget the value of using Salt-N-Pepa.

Informative video, but at the end they showed the newspaper cudgel with the nails, and it was never explained how best to use them together. I have ideas, but I’m guessing at best.

There aren’t many situations where you have time for crafting.

“If you’ll just hold on while I assemble a trebuchet out of these BBQ tongs, napkin and flower vase, I’ll get right back to you…”

9 Likes

That really is the best advice. My friend that does teach martial arts refers to his favorite method as “The Monty Python”.

Still - situational awareness is how you AVOID dangerous situation. Even things that seem just a little skeevy - it’s probably nothing, but… you can use your awareness of it to just skirt the issue.

There are like 1000 fake SEALs for every one real one… just a grain of salt. Usually, unless they are in a profession like this guy, you won’t know they were a SEAL, it isn’t something typically bragged about.

But back to the video…

Eh… not super practical nor informative and sort of meandering.

4 Likes

He wasn’t bragging, he was complaining about the stupid ass questions one gets asked in those interviews.

3 Likes

I have a sock full of bitcoin. Come at me, bro

10 Likes

The Onion is the only consist, reliable new source these days.

5 Likes

12 Likes

the-equalizer-movie-image-8

5 Likes

That’s not a standard question. Either someone was fishing, or your boyfriend is making things up.

Love these videos. Hope they keep making them since they are on a role.

thatswhatshegiphy

3 Likes

‘Eh… not super practical nor informative and sort of meandering.’

Like the rest of WIRED then?

2 Likes

14 Likes

giphy

10 Likes