Review: No Man's Sky (late 2017)

Yeah, darnit, my 10 yr is really bugging me to get this, but at $60, I just haven’t pulled the trigger. I don’t know the game industry that well; any chance there will be Black Friday sale or anything before xmas?

Steam always has a Black Friday sale. Discounts range from ninety percent (usually older titles or those that were already under ten dollars) to just ten percent (usually new titles). I’d expect a one-year old title to land in the 15-30% discount range.

To buy the game as a gift, you’ll need your own Steam account. When you click ‘Buy’, you’ll have the option of buying it as a gift for another Steam account or buying it for yourself to add to your own library.

If you want to avoid Steam DRM, though, I don’t have an answer for you. I’m a very lazy person when it comes to buying games. (And these days, even lazier at getting around to playing them at all.)

1 Like

Part of the personal heartbreak surrounding this game is how my then 8 yo immediately fell in love with “Nomad’s Sky” and wouldn’t stop asking about it. She was fixated for a year and I was delighted by her interest in science fiction exploration and everything that the initial teaser trailer represented. It was released and it’s inability to fulfill the expectations set by its hype… well, you probably know the rest.

2 Likes

I do! I do!

1 Like

I presume your kid games on console, i would say for sure wait until closer to Black Friday or Cyber Monday and look for gaming deals for the game, likely Amazon will have a deal on it but checking right now the game is priced between 20-25 bucks and that seems like a reasonable price to me.

If your kid games on PC wait until Steam has a sale on it, but there’s no telling how much it might be discounted. Usually for newer games its something like 20-30%, but i have seen bigger discounts done in the past… just depends on the title.

Very good chance! It was brieflly $30 over Halloween. If you sign up for Steam or GOG and put it on a wishlist they will email you whenever a deal’s on

1 Like

Great test for a game, especially one that will be compared to Minecraft to any extent whatsoever: “will an 8 year old kid be able to enjoy this?”

1 Like

I think it would depend on the particular kid. On the plus side the game is easy enough for anyone to understand the game mechanics. It doesn’t require a ton of dexterity and precision, and gameplay is slow paced. However there’s just not a ton to do for a kid, at least in minecraft a kid can dig into the earth for hours or build random things with little effort involved. In NMS there’s way more restrictions as far as where you can build and whatnot. My hunch is that a young kid might be temporarily entertained by the game but i wouldn’t expect them to stick with it as long as an adult would. Minecraft would be better for them anyway, and one can add mods to it easily.

1 Like

Damn, that didn’t come up on my google alert. But we do have that Steam thingie so I will wishlist it.

Steam will send you emails when one of the games on your wishlist is on sale :slight_smile: I don’t know if that’s a setting you have to enable to get the emails but should be easy to check within Steam’s settings.

Yeah, we just play a few random games on the PC. I haven’t had a game console since the Odyssey².

1 Like

Whenever I log onto Steam, it tells me what games are on sale. It only takes about a minute to log on, check for a game, and log off.

That’s easy to miss, having Steam email you when games are on sale gets my attention better than having to jump onto steam and specifically looking for what might or might not be on sale. It’s all provided to me. Plus if you have the phone app i get a notification telling me as much, though checking on the app what’s on sale is kind of clunky as it shows me my entire wishlist and i have to scroll around to see what’s on sale. Would be better if it only showed what’s discounted, like the email does. So my preference is the email.

Sure, I get the emails, too. But I log onto Steam virtually every day, too. It’s just another way.

@groundman There’s a big deal on, it’s only $24 for Thanksgiving

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/No_Mans_Sky/

Humble: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/no-mans-sky?linkID=&mcID=102:5a14d83ed6ab4e76092950d5:ot:58a20cc0f7bb513ff1e4c1a5:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017_11_23_sanctum2_storefront&utm_content=Grid_Image

Yup! got my notice Thanksgiving night and bought it before passing out in a carb coma. Thx for the heads up.

2 Likes