Review of a virtual pinball bartop machine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/04/review-of-a-virtual-pinball-ba.html

2 Likes

Maybe it’s been too long since I’ve played pinball, but there was a lot going on on those screens.

Is there a “Grandpa” version?

7 Likes

Very true…
On the other hand, this has just about the right size and (probably) weight to be thrown across the room in frustration.

12 Likes

♬ Always has a replay,
And never tilts at all ♫

2 Likes

Weird, all of the tablet pinball games I’ve played monitor the accelerometers for nudging. If this is just something like Pinball Arcade running on a tablet in a fancy box with a custom Bluetooth controller then it should support nudging just fine, especially since the box is so small.

3 Likes

When I was 7 or 8, my neighbors had an old pinball machine that worked. It was so cool because you could open up the front and see the insides. The tilt mechanism was so simple yet elegant. It was a weight hanging down on an adjustable chain that went into a metal circle. If the weight (or the chain) hit the circle - GAME OVER.

I think you could adjust the setting with the length of the chain, but not sure whether lengthening or shortening it would make for more or less sensitivity. But it does illustrate what every long-time player knows. One good nudge shouldn’t trigger the tilt, at least once you have the sensitivity figured out. But shaking side to side? again - GAME OVER

7 Likes

A bocce ball version would be welcome.

1 Like

I will definitely he interested in buying this.
One of the best tabletop virtual pinball machines I’ve ever seen. And considering that’s just the prototype, I can imagine how much better the final product will become.

Waiting for specs on the cab for this. Since Prime’s initial impressions, the price has gone up by 100 euros on their website, putting the price into the mid $600s USD. Once I can find specs, a replica can easily be built for $200 USD or less. If you can drill a couple holes and secure some boards together, you can save a ton of $$$ here (nothing I hate more than greedy people)!

That deaf dumb and blind kid
Sure pl [LOW BATTERY]

5 Likes

Thanks! Now this will be stuck in my head for the whole rest of the week.

1 Like

That 600 bucks is for people who don’t wanna stick some boards together, but it doesn’t make them greedy.

If they make you pay a subscription service for stolen pinball roms (for example), I’d call that pretty greedy. :slight_smile:

Yes, there is. For example, if you buy the PinballArcade software, they have a couple dozen tables from the 60s and early 70s, ie. electro-mechanicals. I love playing many of those, including Fireball and Big Shot and Jacks Open.

3 Likes

I’ve been making a full sized version myself out of an empty cabinet for a Captain Card pinball machine and Visual Pinball. It’s been a lot of fun putting it together and figuring all the software stuff out

3 Likes

No nudge = No Tilt. That’s a good thing for beginners. This looks awesome. I wonder if it’s coming to a bar near me. Oh Damn. There aren’t any bars actually near me anymore.

That one on the right is completely virtual? What are you using for the screen?

Both are digital, for the screen I’m using just a 1080 flat-screen TV. Some people go all out for 4k with them but that’s still too expensive for me

1 Like

You can just ignore the lights and whistles and focus on the ball. You may not get the highest score, but you don’t need the highest score to have fun playing pinball.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.