Review: Pantera PicoPC

Originally published at: Review: Pantera PicoPC | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Might blu-tack one to the back of the telly when the superannuated laptop that lives behind there at the moment finally dies. I had great hopes for the pi, but as it can’t seem to play YouTube or stream Netflix et Al, it’s a bit of a white elephant.

4 Likes

It’s 2021. Where is the USB-C?

4 Likes

I think I’ve got an idea for their next product.

9 Likes

It’s powered by a (nice small) brick that connects by USB-C! But the USB-C hole is just for power.

3 Likes

Yeah, but now we have to play the dongle/adapter game all over again. This thing should come with at least 2 USB-C ports instead of the standard USB 2 ports.

Do we? I’ve yet to find a single peripheral with a USB-C connector at the PC end. If this only had USB-C ports then everything would need an adaptor.

In an ideal world it would have a selection of A and C ports but with limited space it has to be A really.

1 Like

A mouse that is the PC, and the cord is an HDMI / Display Port cable?
Hmmm, power and keyboard?

3 Likes

6a00d834515bc269e20105371c5035970b-800wi

3 Likes

I am not a USB-C evangelist by any means but this would be a great use case for it. Plug it into a monitor with an integrated USB-C hub and get power, send video and USB to monitor, connect keyboard to monitor. Boom! Alternatively a single cord with dual HDMI/USB-B connectors (to connect to a monitor with a USB-A hub).

(edit: USB-B might not work for power-distribution purposes, but I am not a connector technology person, so…)

2 Likes

Really?

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Accessories/s?k=USB+C+Accessories

Well, yes. You’ve proved my point. Those are all adaptors for plugging USB-A connectors into a USB-C port, eg:
61Fgl6cfQKL.AC_UY327_QL65

The trouble with usb-b connectors is that the USB 3.0 and 2.0 variants are incompatible shapes.

USB-B supplies at most 900 mA for 3.0, 500 mA for 2.0.

1 Like

Any good, modestly-priced AMD mini-PCs? I want to set up an emulation box that’s good enough to play Dreamcast and PS2 games, and I want to hook it up to an old CRT TV (IME AMD onboard graphics will do 240p and other nonstandard resolutions under Linux without much trouble, but Intel won’t).

1 Like

It has 3 USB 3.0 ports, they are just USB-A, not C.

Just FYI, if you run Kodi on a Raspberry Pi you can watch Youtube and Netflix.

2 Likes

They are definitely much less common toward the bottom of the price range, AMD doesn’t seem to have a widely embraced equivalent to the J-series Celeron parts; but I’ve heard the AM02, with Athlon 300U, mentioned favorably a few times. AMD will also point you toward Ryzen Embedded based options; some of which are inexpensive; some of which are fancy industrial/signage PCs sensibly but unhelpfully charging a premium for supporting more video outputs than otherwise similar Intel embedded chips.

I’ve also seen Lenovo’s M75n/M75n IoT get discounted on occasion. Their list price is pretty, um, ‘optimistic’ for what they are; but on occasions inscrutable to me they show up at considerably more reasonable prices.

1 Like

Plus at 3x5" they’re so ginormous, they get tiring to lug around after a while…:slight_smile:

Seriously, I bring a couple of nano PCs with me when I travel for extended periods, and increasingly like the idea of one application/one machine. If you don’t care about running Windows you can get tiny, perfectly capable SBCs for a pittance (Friendly Elec has a nice selection).

1 Like

This! And I understand the AMD laptops don’t dissappear on their own from thinness or not have ports, but they don’t have 6 SATA ports so you don’t run out, either (not natively.) Also, to run PS2 games with emu, do I just wanna buy extra PS5 gamecons, or what? Using an eBayed A10 mobo…

Yeah I’ll hold out for the Wynona’s Big Brown Beaver Special Edition Pantera PicoPC.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.