Review: What Do You Call That Noise? An XTC Discovery Book

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/17/review-what-do-you-call-that.html

5 Likes
5 Likes

White Music is my favorite XTC record. A surprising amount of it is online, including some amazing live performances from deep in prehistory.

4 Likes

THIS IS POP!

3 Likes

Choosing Nonsuch as my introductory XTC album was a mistake.

I tried ‘English Settlement’ and disliked it enough to try no others.

Anyone care to suggest where would be a good place to start?

I can wholeheartedly recommend Skylarking and Mummer as starting places for new XTC listeners. They are both compositionally wonderful albums - right up there with the Beatles in my opinion.

Skip the Mummer bonus tracks though. For some reason they put them right in the middle of the CD release (tracks 6-11) and they completely interrupt the flow.

2 Likes

Yes, but how does this compare to an Adam Ant Discovery Book?

I’d give Black Sea a try, to me it’s more immediate and visceral than their later stuff.

Far less myopic.

1 Like

Agreed!

Tastes in music are so subjective, but anyway, I’ve long liked this.

3 Likes

Which one will survive?

1 Like

You could try Apple Venus, which I think is the pinnacle of XTC’s works. Harvest Festival and Greenman are stunning songs.

1 Like

One of my all-time fave XTC records. Easter Theater, Last Balloon, I Can’t Own Her, the tracks you mention. Your Dictionary. SO many amazing songs.

Quite possibly my favorite song, depending on when you ask me. Certainly a fine statement of intent.

(Although then, given later discussion, I gotta admit that I think I enjoy Wasp Star the most out of all their albums - which, given just how much of an early-years partisan I am, is kinda funny. But DAMN, both volumes of Apple Venus were just amazing out-of-the-park home runs from a band already known for amazing albums.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.