Rickrolling is sexist, racist and often transphobic in context

Some people can’t do that?

a lot. most people can touch, or come close, but most can’t grab their pinky with their index finger behind their had and pull it back.

one, two, three, four, i declare a thumb war? :smiley:

And with all that, you only stretch a tenth? I would have thought you would be vying with Rachmaninoff, elevenths at a minimum, twelfths more like… :wink:

Well, a tenth is an octave and a third. And good old rachy was kind of a freak of nature :smile:

There was one day I could do C to F. (One day!). But it took like thirty five seconds for me to set up, and I couldnt move.

Okay, I just found out on a piano forum hitting a 13th would require a little over 12" hand span. In 24 years of measuring NBA players, only one had a hand that big.

Rachmaninoff was not only a genius but very, very unusual. :smiley:

Hand span is idiosyncratic. I can’t do what you do behind the hand, but I’ve always been able to stretch a tenth as well… between thumb and any finger, although my index finger really, really wants to land on a black key, so usually a minor tenth for that one. (Makes for an interesting roll-under, though.)

I am a terrible, terrible, terrible piano player. I spent too much time on wind instruments and can only read a stave at a time. I occassionaly play jazz or funk Rhodes/Wurlitzer for fun though.

I’m in the same boat, actually. Oboe and F bass recorder (and isn’t that a strange pair!). Ironically, I write mainly for keyboards. I like that a single instrument can cover the entire texture, and I like the ambiguity of voices that can be obtained.

Wow, I’m gonna continue to derail this thread >:)

Sopranino recorder, soprano, alto, tenor, no bass (yet). Tenor and alto sax, b flat boehm clarinet and A Albert system (barely playable). A 450 1880 reverse taper flute, 13 guitars, Rhodes 88, and at least 40 penny whistles in different keys.

…did you say hoarder? What does that mean?

2 Likes

And of course two lapsteels, a 60’s Gibson tube amp, a rebranded sears Silverstone amp, and a modern vox.

And four boudrhans.

Edit

Oh yeah, two gemeinhardt flutes along with a pro custom made, solid silver head. Did I mention I used to work at a used music instrument store and would repeatedly blow my paychecks there?

2 Likes

Used to have soprano, alto and tenor recorders as well, played tenor sax way back when, but I had a chance to pick up either an alto sax or an oboe a couple of decades ago, and discovered I couldn’t get the sax to even squeak (my embouchure had changed), but I could blow a smooth lower octave on the oboe (and that’s the harder octave - oboes are strange). Currently have a beat-up no-name acoustic guitar, a small keyboard, and a WX-7 wind controller kicking around somewhere.

1 Like

There is a Moeck bass that has been sitting in a shop for 12 years. Some day it will be mine.

That was more or less how I got mine way, way back when: there was a bass that had been sitting in Brosseau’s in Fairview Mall for several years. I think I picked it up for $100 - maple basses like that were usually going for $300 even then.

What, no kecska duda?

3 Likes

My Model M just broke last week - the QAZ column. And I can’t find a socket wrench that fits the recessed screws.

1 Like

I just discovered that I cannot. This is likely why I have failed at life. Darn you, inflexible hands, darn you.

1 Like

I am also mildly surprised at how many people here I love and respect fell for this one. I read BB articles by way of the BBS, and generally get at least a glimpse of the comments before getting around to the article.

But even in this case, where I didn’t read the comments first, I hovered suspiciously over the links and knew not to follow them. I been burned by this stuff too often before, and I work too close by people who point and laugh. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m not sure it’s possible to derail a thread that started off with a rickroll. The redirect was already basically a derailment off the top

4 Likes

Like it could get more derailed after talking about mice and keyboards?

Don’t let them poop in yours!