Right-wing UK newsreader can't bring himself to read results of Brexit poll

In his mind, that probably converts in to 1899.

17 Likes

I know where you are coming from; but I find it impossible to image a Tory Banker being embarrassed :smile:

12 Likes

“What if we wore safety shoes this time?”

8 Likes

Yeah, I really, really don’t understand the mindset that gloats over this as though it meant Brexit were going to be voted out at the next election.

4 Likes

There are still a lot of people who believe Great Britain won WW2. Single-handed.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Eric Morecambe supported Maggie (ironically sending her a pro-Europe congratulations letter in the late 70s), Ernie Wise was more private about his political beliefs

9 Likes

Apparently the CBGB show taught children how to count… but only up to 4.

3 Likes

IIRC, the actual people working in international finance in the City weren’t happy with Brexit. It hurt London’s position as a massive finance center, boosting various continental exchanges and banking centers, and a lot of English-language services simply migrated to Ireland where they could keep the language and the benefits of being in the EU.

9 Likes

Yes, the few people in finance who did want Brexit were a select group of Hedge Fund ghouls, who stood to profit from shorting the UK economy, and the Laundromat services sector which wanted to avoid new EU regulations aimed at curbing tax avoidance.

Part of the reason why this has turned into the political mess that it has was because Brexit was always a factional struggle within the monied elite as well as a civil war within the tory party, and a bugbear of the right-wing press for decades.

12 Likes

The Violent Femmes (whose big break was at CBGB) went up to 10, which was apparently everything.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.