RIP Adobe Flash

Being neither a programmer nor a gamer I didn’t particularly care one way or another about Flash. With one notable exception. For some reason Curious Labs/eFrontier/Smith Micro chose to base the content library browser in their Poser software on Flash. For some time now otherwise functioning software is crippled because without Flash Player (and the right flavor to boot) you can’t see your content. Is there a “substitute Flash” for such things?

1 Like

Like the US Weather Bureau? I have sent them several emails over the last several years suggesting they go to a different system for things like radar animations. Never a reply. I think they are FINALLY changing.

1 Like

One. Last. LIGHTSWITCH RAVE!!!

3 Likes

Yeah, the whole point of HR from the Chaps’ perspective was to get the animation industry to notice them, and it did, and now their day job is animation (which probably lessens the enjoyment of doing additional animation in their spare time).

4 Likes

That’s it, yes! I thought it was two separate systems, but now it makes sense if it was one external service that was … well, I hesitate to say “upgraded”. Migrated.

Whilst some won’t work, nearly everything will still be playable with the standalone flash player
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/32/flashplayer_32_sa.exe

Just drag the .swf files onto it and away you go :slight_smile:

4 Likes

flash was incredibly useful for making art online. too bad no one wants to do that, anymore, and everything has to be laid out like a 1990s news magazine. i miss the version of the internet where we hadn’t decided what it had to be, yet. ymmv, i guess.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.