RIP Imagineer Rolly Crump

Originally published at: RIP Imagineer Rolly Crump | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Oh, goddam it. This one hurts. Super glad I picked up a few signed prints of his while I could. Love this guy’s work so much.

4 Likes

Let’s not also forget Rolly’s work with Knott’s Bear-y Tales!

The classic ran 1975 - 1987. After two other ride replacements, Return to the Fair opened in 2001 with Rolly and his son Chris as consultants. While it’s all screen effects, it’s now the last theme park ride touched by Rolly.

Rolly represented bold choices in weird and whimsy with themed entertainment. Something that is desperately needed in the business. The only outfit doing that kind of whimsy in themed entertainment these days is Meow Wolf.

4 Likes

The exterior at the World’s Fair was totally different from the Disneyland version. Instead of a whimsical facade with architectural elements that represented famous landmarks from around the world, there was a big kinetic sculpture called “Tower of the Four Winds.”

Tower of the Four Winds | Disney Wiki | Fandom.

Both were designed by Crump though!

7 Likes

Thanks for the pic. Yes, perfect example of Crump’s toy house whirly-gig whimsy!

2 Likes

https://itskindofacutestory.com/

If you haven’t already check out more on Rolly Crump here.

4 Likes

I’ve listened to the first two volumes, and they’re wonderful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.