RIP Teaforia, the $1000 IoT tea-infuser

Did it implement status code 418 as specified in RFC 2324?

2 Likes

199 dollars for a tea maker that won’t work without the pods that are no longer being made… f’king sign me up😜

2 Likes

so enthusiastic.

1 Like

They are upgrading everyone’s firmware to allow it to work with loose tea. It’s still a dumb idea, just not as dumb as you make it out to be.

1 Like

Could you not just stick loose leaf tea in a basic coffee maker instead of ground coffee? Might take a little experimenting to get the right balance, but would cost significantly less and there are already plenty awesome loose leaf blends out there.

It would make a lot more sense to just boil water and add tea to it, and you’d end up with something more like tea.

8 Likes

It’s a stretch, but one could almost imagine getting one of those little metal tea things you put tea in, and then you put it with the tea in the hot water. I know — crazy.

2 Likes

Every time one of these proprietary, wasteful trinkets for the intellectually-challenged ultra-rich fails, I rub my hands together and cackle with glee, Snidely Whiplash style.

almost, but not quite entirely unlike tea

2 Likes
3 Likes

The ultra rich don’t have this shit, they have an entire staff of people to make them tea, and everything else. While I would never buy this thing, I do have some pretty nice appliances, and I’m hardly ultra-rich.

1 Like

If you must automate tea making, let’s consider a solution that’s been around since the 1970s

5 Likes

then it would be worth 1,000.

Exactly. How little is $1k to you that you can’t make a goddamn cuppa by yourself?

My thought would be that if you can afford dropping this kind of money on a tea machine, you probably have people to make your tea.

2 Likes

Try 1890s

Making tea is one of the simplest things you can do in the kitchen. I can’t believe the Teaforia actually saves any effort. I learned to use one of these long before I actually drank tea myself.

And I learned to put the milk in first. :wink:

6 Likes

automation

8 Likes

We’ll always have Smalt.
Well, maybe not always.

How would you connect it to the internet though?

/S

2 Likes

Now there’s the Cockford Ollie!

You’re right, I sometimes forget that there are people with levels of wealth that I have a difficult time even imagining. Let’s go with “mega-rich” instead. You might not have to be rich to have nice appliances, but I would imagine they’d at least be useful appliances in that case, not… this thing.

1 Like