Robot overlords will send driverless cars to deliver pizza to your panopticon cubby

Sir Yes Sir!! (The interiors of the cars may alternate between hello kitty and cthulu though, for… $reasons)

3 Likes

My girlfriend still has nightmares about that road from when her dad took her on holiday in the late 70s there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They also like Stockholm.

Similar syndromes.

People like to be driven around by horses, too. But I’m not investing in buggy-whip futures.

3 Likes

But once you no longer have to drive out of necessity to work, your road trip on the weekends for fun will no longer be amortize-ably cheap – it will be the sole use and expense of the car. Like a horse-drawn carriage (or solo horse*), the car will become an item of luxury. Have no fear, I’m sure there will be a garage in your neighborhood that will park it, fill the tires, and change the oil for you – for a nominal charge. Presuming your neighborhood is tony enough.

* is there such a term as “solo horse” ?

4 Likes

How does Capt. Picard like his oriental soup?

9 Likes

Thank you for putting me back in the scope of standard humanity. I rock out in Adult Style most of the time, MOST OF THE TIME, but give me a rental car, and there is a near immediate and total mental slide right back to 14-17 years old.

"What do you mean, ‘we’re moving so the transmission won’t go into park’?

5 Likes

1 Like

I’m not saying self driving cars are a bad idea. If there isn’t a manual override though, don’t be shocked when people find a way to “fix” it.

1 Like

Wait, I’m not supposed to throw it into drive while still going 15mph in reverse?

5 Likes

I get other people to amoratize my cars, cuz I buy used. I just like saying that word. Used.

5 Likes

Just feather the clutch and your fine. And antilock brakes are for wusses, ebrakes are where it’s at.

Wait, I really shouldn’t be encouraging this.

5 Likes

Any time I get a new vehicle, the first snow of the season I find an empty parking lot and see how the car drives sideways.

3 Likes

I actually do the moving shift from reverse to drive. But in an automatic. I’m sure I’m ruining the thing’s transmission and confusing the hell out of the computer.

2 Likes

The light rail here in Seattle is long overdue. I just boggled at all the studies over it for years. It didn’t help that I just left St. Louis where they had a little more old school approach of yep this is happening, this is the route, and no you don’t get to study this shit to death. The initial line while not one I got to use where I lived was so well used and loved that the bond votes for the expansions passed with overwhelming margins just after I moved.
If I can wait another 10 years I would be able to have a mile walk to a light rail station and take 2 trains to work. 10 fucking years.

6 Likes

There I was, in an empty parking lot in West Virginia last year during a big snow/ice storm, doing my best to see how well the car goes sideways (or wherever) on ice. Had a great time doing that for a bit, then I got on the road for home. Maybe twenty minutes later, car’s feeling sluggish, the back end is acting strangely. Come to discover that I was sliding my car across a frozen parking lot that was full of crushed rock intended to provide traction, and definitely not intended for sliding one’s car at high speed from one end to the other. Shortly thereafter, I took this image:

My dashboard thermometer was reading 18 degrees (F). That was a cold, cold tire change.

6 Likes

3 Likes

My spouse and I are talking about moving there. So. Not public transportation paradise. Not a surprise. A bummer but . . . okay. :frowning:

Really the e-brake is all that’s needed in a pinch. . . .

Unless you want to be napping or reading on the passenger train! :sleeping:

Dressage? Is that when I buy horses clothes to wear at the horsey party?

4 Likes

Hey, if you can afford the dressage fees – more horse power to you!

3 Likes

If anything, the advent of robot cars makes me wonder when the politicians are going to start working on new funding schemes, given the tried-and-true gas tax is no longer enough to fill that particular pothole.

1 Like

Horsez are dumb, and their chests look like deformed butts. And they are all alcoholics.

1 Like