U.S. formally endorses self-driving cars as technology that 'will save money, time, and lives'

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/19/babymycarcandrivemycar.html

I don’t have a federal drivers license so I won’t be able to have a self driving car.

When the cars drive themselves you won’t need a license.

9 Likes

God these can’t come soon enough.

7 Likes

This is the right choice. Driver less cars will be useless if the standards change every time they cross state lines

14 Likes

I’m looking forward to the brief time when I’m still allowed to drive myself, but most of the worst drivers are letting a machine do it instead…

1 Like

Driver fewer cars.

14 Likes

I kind of want to know what the interstates would look like with vehicles representing fifty competing autonomous vehicle standards.

merging vehicle detected to right
merging vehicle on collision course
decreasing speed to accommodate
FLORIDA REGULATORY OVERRIDE
    resuming speed
    collision course reestablished
    executing "stand your ground" protocol
26 Likes

This is cool, but a significant part of me wishes we weren’t doubling down on individually owned means of transportation…

8 Likes

Not looking forward to another avenue for institutionalizing surveillance.

Citizen, do you realize walking without a transponder is a crime under Criminal Code Section 142-17?

4 Likes

That’s totally implausible - only lefties use the word ‘citizen’ anymore.

9 Likes

Autonomous cars do not automatically equate to individually owned vehicles. There is a strong likelihood that, once fully autonomous cars become a reality, that they will be offered on a group-share basis (sort of a cross between Zipcar and a timeshare). It will allow many people the benefits of their own vehicle without actually owning and maintaining said vehicle.

2 Likes

Nobody will cry about states’ rights because states’ rights are all about preserving racist policies

2 Likes

Dude. Too soon.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing areas (San Fran, LA, Manhattan) become driverless car territory, but I can’t imagine them working in a rural setting.

They can really only work in non-urban settings. Urban settings require too many driving rules (Turn on red allowed? Is this intersection stop or yield? One-way streets? etc.) as well as an increase in the number and complexity of decisions. For example, what happens when you need to merge and the other driver is clueless af?

Rural settings won’t really work as well either, because most driverless car systems (such as Tesla Autopilot) require clearly-defined lane markers, which country roads definitely don’t have. So, basically, driverless cars work best on highways, and even then, it’s far more hit-or-miss than they claim it is.

Also, even ideally, driverless cars should not be completely autonomous. There are too many unexpected factors and complex decisions for a driverless car to operate without a human in the loop in at least a supervisory role.

Funny thing. Computers are sooo much better at rules than we are. Stop, yield, turn on red. These things are all the easiest things to manage for a computer. All that info is already on a computer. Other situations such as merge are sensor based. If the other driver is clueless af whether you are in a driverless car or not will not make a difference–either way the other drive is still clueless af. If everyone is in a driverless car there will be no such thing as clueless af.

I would love this. I have no desire to once again purchase a $20k machine to use once a day or so, and spend a decade paying off, along with all of its constant technical issues. If I could pay a “timeshare” rate for use of a car or cars that I could summon or schedule when needed, that’d be ideal (for me).

Something worth considering from NPR: In 2015, NPR did a story on “The Most Common Jobs” in America, and it found that “truck driver” is the most common job in America.

What happens to those jobs when trucks begin driving themselves? How about all those Uber drivers?

1 Like

When they all get soul-crushing office jobs, the CB waves will get a lot quieter, but the internet forums are gonna get salty

3 Likes