Robotic cheetah can now see and leap over hurdles as it runs

Approves.

1 Like

Awesome! Walking around campus I often try to observe my mind anticipating the upcoming stairs and subconsciously adjusting my gait. Kind of fun seeing someone else working on those things.

i admire him as a writer of fiction, but cybernetics and analogue computers and mathematical provability in artificial intelligence are dead and he was way off, like Jules Verne and his moon cannon.

If it can jump over things, it can jump at things.

3 Likes

As long as it is prevented from exceeding the speed of sound in urban areas…

I disagree about cybernetics – increasingly relevant, and his stature in the field will only grow.

STOP. COME BACK I WON’T HURT YOU. WE JUST WANT TO ASK A FEW QUESTIONS.

{sound of chainsaw starting up}

I feel like it needs to be ridden by a terrifying robot jockey.

1 Like

i have played a number of pranks in my life that i really regret in retrospect.

one in particular was convincing a friend of mine that in dog racing the canines were ridden by little monkeys in jockey suits. i felt bad.

1 Like

Yes. Lots of research running on this field, for many years already.

…also,

Given the quadcopters as a recent example, my guess is that the market will be flooded with these robots in the form of toys and robopets, and there will be 3d-printable versions as well.

…And there will be “ArduCheetah” controllers with multiple flavors of control software.

Not. Helping.

2 Likes

It was more terrifying when it was powered by a two-stroke weed whacked engine.

1 Like

Maybe more terrifying but less dangerous — at least you’d be able to quietly hide when you hear a raspy 2-stroke. Now it’s creepy, uncanny and quiet … :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Quiet? The motor controllers are likely to SCREAM in the EM spectrum! And we don’t even start mentioning the control/comm systems.

Ever saw a really quiet PWM?

Humans, lose all hope. Only Predators get to escape … :frowning:

1 Like

Cue a wearable electronic warfare passive reconnaisance system.

The other day I was thinking about a cop detector. They carry transceivers. The transceivers are tuned to a certain frequency. The local oscillator sings the (frequency+intermediate) song that can be heard by a sufficiently sensitive receiver. See radar detector detectors, and radar detector detector detectors, same principle. The receiver LO is on all the time, as the radio is always receiving.

The pulsed nature of the digital transmission allows detecting the packet preambles, and time-tagging them, and time-of-arrival triangulating the cops’ positions whenever they transmit.

The same will work for keeping track of robots and UAVs. We just have to build our own EWAR and SIGINT devices. Given the progress on the field of SDR, with both the software and the input/output boards, I don’t see it so hopeless.

1 Like

You could build the output into a belt with haptic actuators worn next to the skin so the wearer could ‘feel’ cops and freaky 4 legged robots relative distance and bearing …

So, when are you building this? I want to test drive it. :smile: