Robotic hamburger stand from 1964

[Read the post]

2 Likes

This is a disappointment. I was expecting robotic hamburgers. Steampunk ones, at least.

12 Likes

So, the question remains: was there something specific that kept this stand from taking off?

2 Likes

Holy shit. I’d eat there every Saturday if I could.

1 Like

Ordering and Billing System: Bleh.
Orbis: Yes!

Man, I love 60’s computer acronym names

3 Likes

Someone witnesses described as a “red-haired clown dressed in yellow” kept breaking in at night and smashing up the place.

8 Likes

My waistline would never forgive me. Also I would have to be able to watch the food getting prepared otherwise not so much fun.

OMG, the cleanup: taking all that crap apart to get at crumbs and grease!

4 Likes

Call me when they have something that can tidy up my place…

3 Likes

Right? That’s why these don’t take off, the cleaning is not something you can automate.

2 Likes

Why not make most of the assembly/cooking system submersible? so easy to clean then!
They probably won’t even need much soap. Just one super hot wash cycle to pull away most of the oil/debris, then a quick soap/rinse cycle.
Let it air dry, then a new sales cycle begins!

“Most” isn’t good enough for health inspectors. And lubrication often doesn’t work well with submersion. But I like the thought.

1 Like

Imagine “cartridges” of nylon that can be replaced easily at high wear locations in lieu of lubricant. and there’ll be enough grease vaporizing off the meat for the rest…

The reason factory automation of food handling equipment works is because there is a known periodic (x hours or daily) tear-down and cleaning cycle built into the operation. To do this for a single-file burger operation would be overwhelming. In most commercial kitchens there are signs: CLEAN AS YOU GO - the employees that run the machines are the ones that clean the machines. If you think of a commercial kitchen as “a machine”, this still applies.

4 Likes

Do Androids Dream of Electric Lamb Burgers?

3 Likes

[quote=“Jorpho, post:3, topic:81040, full:true”]
So, the question remains: was there something specific that kept this stand from taking off?
[/quote]From watching the video, I’d say it was slow, inefficient, required an unbelievable amount of tweaking, the food was sub-par, and downtime for cleaning and repairs was astronomical.

How exciting it must have been for the customers sitting in their car, to know there was an automated machine inside the building, slowly plodding away, making their order one item at a time. And they couldn’t even watch it.

There’s just no substitute for preparing everything at a remote facility in bulk, shipping it frozen to the restaurant, and letting the employees wear their minimum-wage arms down to stubs heating the food up, sliding it onto plates, and setting it on the counter for the marks to come pick up. It only makes sense to keep re-using the moving parts you can’t eliminate (people), rather than adding new ones.

(I’ve worked for a number of restaurants; also Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.)

3 Likes

Alternate sound track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_ZwKPE3oA

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.