Robots more likely to take "male" jobs

Because waiting five years for a house is a terrible idea?

2 Likes

How quickly do genetically engineered leylandii grow?

1 Like

Slower than a 3D printer can be dropped off and working tomorrow.

1 Like

Uber’s “free lunch” is quickly getting clobbered in court. What does an obnoxious, commercial law flouting start-up have to do with our impending robot overlords, anyway?

2 Likes

???

I also wonder if “women’s” work will still be undervalued and underpaid?

7 Likes

There’s parallels because capitalism has always been about cutting corners to find cheaper labor and cut costs and sell a cheaper, crappier thing, labor be damned.

You don’t wear New Balance sneakers, do you?

Maybe where you live, but I live in a relatively sparsely populated area. Factory-built houses mean trailer-able mini-homes. Besides, those pre-fab walls need to be finished, adjusted, painted, wired, plumbed, trimmed, etc.

The auto-assembling robots are used in the factory, not in repairs, adjusting your seat, refilling your windshield washer tank. When we get to that stage, I know that humankind is finished.

3 Likes

No. And you’re still not talking about robot overlords. You’re talking about shifts in where production is occurring to ‘maximize shareholder value’, but the labor is still provided by humans.

1 Like

Houses built in a day with human overwatch? There’s no human labor here:

Observe all these humans getting to work on a bridge 24/7/365, even on holidays:

I want my house made out of grey goo.

4 Likes

The reason why capitalism is so popular is that people are mostly content to be robotic - as in living out pre-programmed game patterns. If the game is in place, it just runs, and the roles are mostly interchangeable.

1 Like

It probably is now. Putting some nicer siding on it won’t change the fact that it’s putting a shedload of workers out to pasture.

WinSun’s 3D-printed villa has several rooms and has been deemed to be up to China’s national safety standards

There’s the money quote [emphasis added]. :disappointed:

2 Likes

" Prebuilt walls show up on site, eliminating days of labor…"

There have been many attempts at this, most of which failed for the same reason. The poured/built in place foundations must be built to exact measurements in order to accept the pre-built walls just so. Home building labor in particular is very low skill work because nobody wants to work outside in the heat, the cold, the mud, and the rain. Also, the boom and bust cycles mean there is a constant churn in the labor force with people leaving and entering (sans skills) all the time. Which means that you are lucky if the foundations are built within very wide tolerances that the framer can accommodate. And then there is also the transportation problem of delivering anything bigger than a roof truss when things like overhead stoplights and power lines are in the way.

And finally, given all the concern about giving military robots complete weaponry autonomy, how can it be a good idea to give a bunch of nailgun wielding robots the ability to fire at will? What could ever go wrong in that scenario?

1 Like

Eventually it will all be robot’s work. I wonder if I will live that long to see it.

2 Likes

You’re right. Prebuilt house kits will never work in the US.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1920+sears+kit+house&espv=2&biw=1140&bih=621&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIkvPb6_SPxwIVwTs-Ch2MIQHZ&dpr=0.9

I mean, robots with welders, that’ll never work either.

2 Likes

In fairness to @SteampunkBanana, technology plus time is a bet I’ll take any day of the week.

5 Likes

Actually, I seem to remember a This Old House, related to rebuilding the Jersey Coast after Sandy. They worked on three different houses, with 3 different families at different income levels, and one of the houses was indeed a prefab house (the working class family)… I don’t remember if it was built by robots or not. But I think prefab homes have a rocky history, in general - whether that’s fair or not is another story, but prefabs are often floated as a solution to problems in housing stock, and they never seem to stick - doesn’t mean they couldn’t in the future, though, especially if middle class expectations about housing change radically in the future:

2 Likes

CGP Grey has a good video on the whole ‘replacing human labor’ thing.

frankly it doens’t surprise me more male jobs are taken. Fruit pickers/Harvesters, Welders, automated driving from A to B (be it roads, forklifts, whatever) and so on tend to be male dominated fields.

1 Like