These robots are attacking coronavirus at hospitals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/12/robots-that-fight-coronavirus.html

3 Likes

Comment link is borked on the article, it just reloads the page fyi.

Also these robots seem… ok. But then i have to ask, do they use a robot to disinfect the other robots? :thinking:

4 Likes

Hundreds of these robots are at work in more than 40 countries, and they’ve recently completed hospital trials in Florida

5, 4, 3, 2…

Florida Man Steals Sterilization Robots to Set Up Tanning Salon

9 Likes

From the CDC:

Based on what is currently known about the novel coronavirus and similar coronaviruses that cause SARS and MERS, spread from person-to-person with these viruses happens most frequently among close contacts (within about 6 feet). This type of transmission occurs via respiratory droplets. On the other hand, transmission of novel coronavirus to persons from surfaces contaminated with the virus has not been documented. Transmission of coronavirus occurs much more commonly through respiratory droplets than through fomites. Current evidence suggests that novel coronavirus may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces made from a variety of materials. Cleaning of visibly dirty surfaces followed by disinfection is a best practice measure for prevention of COVID-19 and other viral respiratory illnesses in households and community settings.

(Emphasis added.) The CDC isn’t saying that disinfecting surfaces is a waste of time, but they do point out that would not address the main mode of transmission.

“Cleaning of visibly dirty surfaces” is still going to have to be done by hand.

3 Likes

I misread the headline as - Robots are Attacking Coronavirus Hospitals

Nothing surprises me any more, but I can’t say I’m not disappointed…

4 Likes

They could just disinfect each other, no? Mutual disinfection.

4 Likes

In the beginning life was good we lived peacefully infecting humans in our perfect utopia , then came the robots…

3 Likes

transmission of novel coronavirus to persons from surfaces contaminated with the virus has not been documented.

Can document, RNC Fundraiser of my dreams! …er, ah…sorry, blaming the hatchet cake.

More importantly, I think it necessary that the corruscating mopebots have a sort of moppish black bowl cut (tail it up, sure,) and a quiet jam to them.

Here China made lots of LEDs that totes make what’s called enough UV and they turn out to be entirely 3 mW of UVC (plus some fool put a Suggested Retail Price on 'em instead of the customary ‘how many decimal places of them would you like’ prices. Exporting Silicon Valley my…)

would not address the main mode of transmission

No, they’d have to both bumble into groups and mope if that were necessary. We’ll call them ‘Cut-Fit Blockers’ or maybe ‘Jam Pams’ or …what’s ‘Dutch Dampeners?’

1 Like

Yes but the robots do have wheels which can track dirt around, as well as the underside and other parts of the machine which UV light may not fully reach. I’m not terribly concerned about that aspect of it, i was joking but i am aware that its more complicated to fully disinfect a room beyond relying on just UV light

2 Likes

That depends on how many people breathe up the robots and lick them all over, I suppose. They do have washability to them if not an ace aquatic speed stroke, so if they hustled them to do the worst of the ‘hand cleaning’…

“No, that’s the visible dirt(®NatGeo) retching and broken iPad cover glass corner, --hand clean it–” You’ve been reading Ask Molly too, eh?

eta: Watched the (hideous piano roll bg) movie, the thing looks like it has a changing room that’s closed on it, and great trouble cornering. Clearly it needs a mode where the mirrors splay and you can hop up to show off your sick sandals, then kick it where it needs to be.

1 Like

A guy came through our office today and quickly wiped all our doorhandles with a wetwipe. samesies?

3 Likes

When that happens, how do you get to BBS?

Also, why does this keep happening? Does an actual human have to type in the URL? Why is it like this? Does nobody at BB know how to code?

edit:

Oh also, I think that as our immune systems start to fail us, robots big and small will be running kind of an external immune system. I think this will save us from the coming failure of antibiotics. We may all be seeing much less of each other, and certainly not human nurses and doctors in the future.

I’ve noticed a few articles recently don’t load the comments, i typically get to them by opening the Forum and then finding the topic.

1 Like

Any relation?

7 Likes

Looks like a minor software evolution.

Mutually Assured Disinfection

3 Likes

Do you want Killbotz?

This is how you get killbotz.

1 Like

Aww, man, this is a bit lame. I was hoping for a UV Tron version of a General Dynamics parkour-bot. But, robots with death rays, woo-hoo!

So, it begins.

only if the hospital units announce “EXTERMINATE” before starting a room

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.