Roku welcomes conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and Infowars (Update: Jones removed)

That’s the look of a man who didn’t realize he would have to use the products he sells.

1 Like

It’s freedom of speech, capitalism and consumer choices.
Don’t like it? Don’t watch it.
I’m not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I don’t think they are? I have a Roku and only found out about this via this post.

Personally I don’t care about this. Roku’s channel selection is a wasteland of unwatchable garbage so Jones fits right in.

I believe in safe harbor for carriers, but not for promoters.

For me, the question of whether the platform is promoting/suggesting the content matters.

The interest of free speech is wholly satisfied by the content being carried and made accessible to those who already know how to find it. A company that provides advertising/awareness to new viewers is materially contributing to the enterprise and should be held accountable for that support/association.

Twitter and many other platforms with algo-feeds provide this support by default and could/should be held accountable for it, which is likely why they decided to drop Infowars rather than reengineer their entire product. Amplifying a message matters, and a company that goes beyond mere hosting should face the consequences of associating themselves with the content (note: this includes user-generated content suggested by YouTube).

Sent to Roku customer.advocate@roku.com, as well as several senior executives…

I am a loyal Roku customer. I use a TCL Roku tv and gave two Roku ultras to family members for Christmas.

I’m very disappointed to read of Roku’s granting Alex Jones and Infowars a platform to spread their hatred and propaganda. I ask you to please reconsider this decision and disallow the Infowars channel. Their affiliation with Roku threatens my brand loyalty and good image of your company. If Infowars is not removed from your channel listings, I will be forced to protest your decision by switching to and recommending your competitors products.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Could you guys stop using pictures in your postings where the eyes are replaced with mouths (and vice versa)? I really don’t need a disturbing trip into the “uncanny valley” while skimming the headlines of your postings.
Thanks

1 Like

Oh, my, now you’ve gone and done it.

You’ve uttered the siren call for @beschizza.

Dog have mercy on us all.

6 Likes

But Alex Jones is a really ugly baby! :joy:

4 Likes

An ode to that, which I will now think of him while hearing:

Roku doesn’t host. Channels are more like apps that run on the Roku (a linux box). The app author has to manage all hosting, streaming sources, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the info

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.