Rolling Stone cofounder removed from Hall of Fame board after racist and sexist remarks

Originally published at: Rolling Stone cofounder removed from Hall of Fame board after racist and sexist remarks | Boing Boing

5 Likes

9592833c3f4b4b299bc9096cb25b4a1775b9e4f0

Good riddance.

27 Likes

Anderson Cooper Crying GIF

12 Likes

:nose:t3: :point_left:t3:

6 Likes

Maybe there’s an intentional double entendre in the book name?

6 Likes

I mean - he’s being honest with himself.
He titled the book “the masters”, not “chattel and slaves”

/s, in case it’s needed.

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

9 Likes

Great news.

Wasn’t Rolling Stone where that smarmy rightwing fanboy PJ O’Rourke made his first big splash?

10 Likes

9 Likes

"

they just didn’t articulate at that level."

OR, maybe they didn’t want to talk to an asshole. If you think well over half the planet is not “articulate”, just maybe you’re not good at listening.

11 Likes

Yes, I’m sure that artists like Madonna or Tina Turner (RIP) would have been drooling simpletons when asked about making music. /heavy frustrated sarcasm

Coming from my perspective as a musician, Werner’s take is simply fucked. I can name multiple brilliant women and/or black artists from the 60’s onward that could have been “articulate” for this bullshit. FUCK THIS.

12 Likes

FAFO land speed record.

chris farley spinning GIF

9 Likes

Notice how he falls back on the euphemistic word “articulate”. White bobo Boomers like Wenner really love that word as a way to cover up the fact that they’re not and never were allies of Black people.

10 Likes

A friend of mine read Wenner’s autobiography last year, said he comes off as kind of a self-absorbed tool.

Surprise, surprise.

5 Likes

He could have interviewed the guy the magazine was named for. I’d much rather read what Muddy thought than what Bono does

16 Likes

As his generation is wont to do… If they’re not pulling up the ladder, they’re completely fucking tone-deaf. Or both, and in this case, worse.
I had a subscription to RS for many decades, starting when I was in HS in the early 80’s.
I got it first because of music, but kept it because of some pretty amazing journalism. Something that sticks out in my memory as both things was Mikal Gilmore’s very long and very good piece on Chuck Berry after he died. One of the best things I ever read in the magazine.
Then there’s HST’s Nixon obit. Holy shit, I read it every year.
Matt Taibbi’s financial columns are legend - even though I don’t know what the hell he’s doing now with his career.
That said, Wenner really comes off as a glib (as noted in the Times interview BY the interviewer) prick at best. WTF.

7 Likes

Whereas white male rock stars are famous for being universally articulate.

7 Likes

… except he’s been doing it for 50 years

Somehow this is the first time he’s been “caught”

5 Likes

… when I see Bono trying to talk about anything on camera, I feel sorry for him :confused:

1 Like

I almost wanted to post that iconic Billy Preston song, but nah, Wenner doesn’t deserve the time.

3 Likes

Even back to Mr. Mojo Risin, who also had a hard time getting his thoughts across.

2 Likes