Ron DeSantis describes basketball players as "freaks of nature" (video)

Originally published at: Ron DeSantis describes basketball players as "freaks of nature" (video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Wishing Ron all the best…

8 Likes

I suppose in a sense the Ted Williams quote is accurate because even today our sexist sports culture is structured in such a way that even the most talented female baseball players have limited opportunities to make a career out of it.

But that’s obviously a bug, not a feature.

11 Likes

Racism. He’s a racist.

10 Likes

I guess in the sense that the more you cheat and the more money your organization throws at gobbling up all the talent, the more “merit” you can buy.

10 Likes

I mean, a lot of basketball players are tall, but not all of them. And being the tallest doesn’t make you the best player. As with baseball players, you may not be the most athletic person on a basketball team, but still have the skills to excel.

5 Likes
5 Likes

There’s another reason why DeSantis loves Baseball more than Basketball (hint: it’s racism)

6 Likes

Originally published at: Ron DeSantis says baseball players are good, but basketball players are "freaks of nature" | Boing Boing

Yeah… That’s not racist at all… /s

Also, I don’t remember basketball having a doping scandal like baseball… But basketball players are “freaks of nature”…

Pop Tv Idk GIF by Schitt's Creek

14 Likes

I would like to see this “meritocrat” complete a single typical NBA workout.

8 Likes

Every time he speaks, he proves this.

Season 5 Showtime GIF by Dexter

8 Likes

Muggsy Bogues has entered the chat

Yup. Racist, sexist, asshole. Checks all the boxes.

8 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes

Where are these bizarre revisionist definitions of “merit” and “democratic” coming from that exclude talent from the equation? From people claiming that AI art is “more democratic” because you don’t have to have artistic talent or aptitude (or passion, effort or time) to this bullshit where suddenly having a height advantage makes something “undemocratic.” Fucking fascists love to justify their eugenic obsessions by stoking paranoia about inherent racial differences, all while complaining about any acknowledgement of racism.

It’s also such a weird quirk of history that Baseball is the epicenter of this bullshit. Lionized as a “thinking man’s game” (which I’m sure is the racist trope DeSastre is dipping into here). I had a professor for my “Sociology of Baseball” course at my VERY liberal undergrad college in the early 2000s bring in a guest speaker who started talking about “fast-twitch muscle fibers” for christ’s sake. Bless Jackie Robinson for heading straight for the fucking lion’s mouth.

6 Likes

This is why he’s so far behind Biff, still dog-whistling to his mouth-breathing audience while his rival moved on to a bullhorn years ago.

5 Likes

The pitch of the dog whistles keeps getting lower and lower.

5 Likes

Spud wasn’t too shabby either…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.