Baseball is boring, so announcers pick on distracted attendees

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/29/baseball-is-boring-so-announc.html

3 Likes

Baseball may be boring, but the statistics are to die for!

17 Likes

I used to go for the statistics.

6 Likes

“Baseball was as boring as Mom and apple pie. That’s why they jazzed it up.”

10 Likes

announcer

Here’s the pitch…

And Buck Mitchell can’t find the handle.

That’s an E3 if you’re keeping score at home. And if you are, your loneliness saddens me.

6 Likes

Straight pretzels? Really?

1 Like

Probably churros, right?

1 Like

2 Likes

lol

Distracted. Not sure why. :wink:

1 Like

How can America’s Pastime ever be called bor… (YAWN) borinnn… (snore)

Image result for sleeping baseball spectator

I’ve attended a whopping three professional baseball games – the Colorado Rockies, up in Denver – all courtesy of a former company I worked for as a part of “mandatory fun.” I would have rather worked.

13 Likes

It’s not boring! It’s exciting! Well… for several minutes out of every game. Well… most games.

6 Likes

Philistines the lot of you.

Baseball is actually a really fun game to play, and fun to watch with the right mindset. I have enjoyed coaching kids ball for several years now.

It is actually intense when it’s your kid up to bat, or on the mound. White knuckle intense in some situations.

7 Likes

Attendance is down. They struggle to attract female fans.

Mocking the young female fans is Trump Level Stupidity.

19 Likes

I took an English friend of mine to a pro baseball game one time. He complained that it was more boring than cricket. That tells you something right there.

We may have worked for the same company.

10 Likes

That’s what made Bill Veeck so great. He was all about making it fun as possible. Of course that philosophy led to disco demolition night.

1 Like

Didn’t this actually happen some time ago? IIRC they had just asked the audience to post pictures from the game on social media.

Edit: yep, three years ago:

The girls participated and were publicly shamed by the announcers, and as a result, by the media, baseball fans, critics of their entire generation, and various social outlets.

As an apology, FoxSports and the Arizona Diamondbacks offered the girls free tickets to another baseball game.

The girls from Arizona State politely declined, and asked that the tickets be donated to families at A New Leaf, a non-profit that supports victims of domestic violence. Alphi Chi Omega’s national philanthropy is domestic violence, and October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month… so the girls used their new-found ‘shame-fame’ to encourage people to donate to the cause.

30 Likes

YEAH, BRO, IT NEEDS A COUNTDOWN CLOCK!! MOAR SCORING!!

Sigh. If you understand the game, every pitch is interesting and tense. But why take the time to understand a game?

Baseball is an Altman movie. But we live in a Michael Bay world.

10 Likes

Baseball is 15 minutes of action jam packed into 4 hours.

8 Likes

The last few days, I’ve fallen down a YouTube rabbit hole of SBNation videos. It’s amazing how often even people who make sports videos for a living talk about how boring baseball is. It’s even more amazing when those videos are coming from an organization that was created for the purpose of blogging about baseball.

giphy%20(62)

3 Likes