Baseball is boring, so announcers pick on distracted attendees

That’s a good point. It’s much less boring if you understand the game.

Some years back, I played a football simulation game. Players could draw their own plays, devise strategy, and upload their team to face an opponent across the internet. Football was suddenly much more fun to watch once I understood what a screen pass is, and why it’s so hard to defend against.

4 Likes

The shaming also smacks of condescension. Like… look at these narcissistic millennials! You know what Announcers? Fuck off. I might be amused by someone taking selfies but i certainly would not publicly ridicule them.

10 Likes

Ah. See? That’s where my problem is. My mind isn’t set right.

Image result for if youre happy and you know it

I’m old, but I totally remember my dad taking me to play in Little League games. I’ve mentioned elsewhere how I’m not very sports adept. It was… abysmal. Intense, sure, that works too. And it definitely shaped my attitude toward most sports for the rest of my life to date.

It’s possible. They had a bit of a retention issue. Hence “mandatory fun.”

I understand it.

My maternal grandfather was HUGE into tracking all of the stats before he died… depending on an afterlife, he may still be doing it.

He had books and folders full of info going back decades. Going through them with him, and him reenacting the games with little baseball player figures… yeah, that probably also helped steer me clear.

But if you love it, great! I’m honestly pleased that you enjoy it. You certainly aren’t alone, since it’s still a thing.

2 Likes

I used to look at the pitchers but now I just read the articles?

14 Likes

Baseball, like soccer, uh, footie, is fun to watch if you have played the game. I used to NEVER watch footie, but then I started playing it, and now I enjoy it…for a while, anyway. But fewer kids are playing baseball, so fewer young adults like to watch it.

Ah, well, “nothing gold can stay”.

1 Like

I thought that was football.

4 Likes

Here’s why baseball is tense and exciting for me. Here’s what I’m thinking in a random at-bat…

“Okay, leadoff hitter’s up, he’s got speed, have to pull in the 3rd baseman, defend against the bunt. Pitcher doesn’t seem to have his fastball today, maybe throw this guy some sliders down in the zone? Nah, this batter’s speed, he might beat out a ground ball. Better to stay away, make him hit it to the right side, shorter throw to first- Oh! High fastball, swing and a miss. Okay, he’s surprised me AND the batter there. Next pitch, does he go with a curveball outside? The wisdom is “hard in, soft away”, gotta change speeds for deception- YEP, but he missed with it, crap, Ball One. Okay, try that fastball again? Can he get it by him? YES, he fouled it off, but the guy took a great swing, he’s timed the fastball, CAN’T THROW THAT AGAIN. But it’s 1 ball, 2 strikes, so the pitcher’s got a little room to play here, batter has to protect on anything close or he’ll strike out- HIGH FASTBALL AGAIN?! He hits it well- oh craaaa- CAUGHT IT! Yes! Alright, first out of the inning is the biggest, kept the speed off the bases, but he got away with a mistake pitch, alright, who’s up NEXT…”

I know you’re typing the joke “Jesus, I was bored just reading your description”, but whatever, the point is, each pitch is tons of strategy, mind-reading, adjustment, etc.

Best game in the world. Though I will say, it’s better to watch on TV, because you can really see the battle better.

10 Likes

5 Likes

I attended 2 baseball games in my life:
First one, I was too young to remember.
Second one, I got too drunk to remember.

3 Likes

Were they in the same season? :wink:

8 Likes

And the hot dogs and beer are cheaper, and the line for the toilet is much shorter.

I’m certain that people who also enjoy baseball read through your description and were right there with you.

But you absolutely called it. I was thinking, “word salad,” and that’s from a guy that uses WAY TOO MANY WORDS… always. “Succinct” is a 4-letter word for me.

My point is “to each their own, and your mileage may vary.”

I don’t go out of my way to despise baseball, but when the topic comes up I warm to it quickly, especially once absolutes are declared.

It may be the “best game in the world” for you, but man…

Checkers. I’ll take checkers over baseball and I don’t even own a set of checkers. I will sit down, draw a board in the dirt, and make the pieces out of random trash and bugs before I’ll ever go willingly to another baseball game.

4 Likes

Baseball is my favorite sport, but I can certainly see why it doesn’t appeal to a lot of people. I happen to like the slow pace. And I would indeed like to see a pitch clock.

As for every pitch being exciting… well… that’s a stretch. There certainly are games like that. I’m a fan of the Texas Rangers and their season has been done since before the all star break. They’ve played lots of games this year with such low stakes, it’s hare to care.

For the rest of the season, I’ve switched to cheering for the A’s (who hasn’t?).

1 Like

Haha, fair enough, if your team’s out of the running, it’s a lot less exciting.

I will say, though, since the Giants fell out of contention, I actually ENJOY watching a little more, because I’m not anxious on every pitch…

American football is boring. 3 or 4 seconds of action every 40 seconds, not counting time outs, injuries, etc. But something HAPPENS every time the offensive team hikes the ball; the ball moves, many men push, somebody tries to run or throw a ball that is easily visible and followable, etc.

Baseball is offensively boring. The CHANCE of action every minute or two means it’s effectively a Skinner box with hotdogs and beer. Not to mention pitching changes, holy crap.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. It’s nearly impossible to convince anyone unless they already “get” it, though. There’s plenty of down time, though which is why the tradition of announcers mocking fans will always be a necessary part of the game.

1 Like

Agree with you there. I really like the psychological aspect of baseball that plays out between the pitcher and the batter, as you alluded to. Is there any other athletic sport where players are actively trying to psych each other out so much? It’s fascinating if you know what to look for.

Most other sports move so quickly that there’s no time to do this beyond fakes, feints, etc.

5 Likes

Baseball boring? Mere amateurs. Try cricket. (Esp 5-day Test cricket.) The statistics have been arcane and published annually since 1864, I believe.

What IS it about team-based bat and ball games, eh?

ETA

Sledging which is not what you think it is, and Wikipedia’s description probably does not give one the full effect.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/11722179/Ashes-2015-Sledging-is-out-of-control-and-a-cancer-on-the-game.html

3 Likes

My busy and I used to go to Royals games on the regular. At that time GA included the lower deck past the bases. We would pay a GA ticket and sit at first base for something like $5. It was great and is still my favorite seat in a game, especially when you’ve got amazing old-timers acting as base coach and you’re mere yards away.

1 Like

Kinda like religion or politics. At least nobody – as far as I know – has been put to death for not liking baseball, so that’s certainly a point to its favor.

American Gladiators? /s

4 Likes

Harold Reynolds was ranting over this very thing the other day on MLB network, some reliever was taking 45+ seconds, absolutely ridiculous. There is supposed to be 30 seconds max between pitches but no one actually keeps that time, it’s purely enforced by umpire discretion. Next year I think it’s almost a given we’ll get an official pitch clock. Here’s to hoping anyway. I’m fine with a three hour game if the pitchers are being efficient and throwing strikes, but when they take forever between pitches and try to nitpick around the corners, in 5-7+ pitch at bats, that’s when I get kinda annoyed.