This football play-by-play commentary is far more entertaining than the game itself

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/30/this-football-play-by-play-commentary-is-far-more-entertaining-than-the-game-itself.html

6 Likes

OMG - that made me LOL in several places. Very well done.

5 Likes

i’ve been ranting and raving for this for decades. Comedians announcing the games. Brownie points if the comedians hate sports. I’m watching the game, I know what’s going on for the most part. Jokes would be appropriate for this type of viewer.

2 Likes

I am not sure comedians would be as good announcing on the fly… I mean good, but they wouldn’t have the time to layer the jokes like this example.

Highlights, yeah, they would be good at that.

2 Likes

What Metcalf did on that play is literally superhuman. He’s a 6’4", 230lb man who ran 22.6 mph on turf, wearing pads and a helmet. It just doesn’t make any sense

MNF tried that for a while in the early 2000s, having Dennis Miller* at one point and then Tony Kornheiser offer that “not necessarily talking about the game, just riffing.” It…did not go well.

If they’d tried the Sklar brothers, who knows?

*a “comedian” in the literal sense, not that he was actually funny

6 Likes

I’m certainly okay with watching the game the day after. If you’re a comedian, license that shit for a youtube live stream the day after. I’ll turn my adblocker off for you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WMNF, as in 88.5 radio in Tampa?

Would prefer bill maher or mike birbiglia. Some improv comedians. Oh you know who would be funny as hell? Meliaa Villasenor - she would be excellent at joking towards the sports ball and toss in some celebrity impressions. Like maybe pair up a comedian who likes sports with a comedian who doesn’t like sports?

I do think it would be immensely difficult to do on the fly, for clips and highlights it would be great and i say that as someone who doesn’t enjoy watching sports but found the vid in question pretty funny and interesting.

2 Likes

I love baseball, and have very few problems with the pace (and did even less so before they did away with pitched intentional walks; idiots). Still, the game would greatly benefit from comedic (or more engaging/expert) commentary.

I’m a bike commuter and occasionally when riding 20+ mph I think to myself what would it feel like to be able to run that fast. I can’t even imagine. How much fun would that be to be able to just turn on the jets and run 22.6 mph (36 kph)?

3 Likes

I used to kind of like Dennis Miller’s show back in the 90’s, but our worldviews diverged sharply after 9/11 when he started guzzling the right wing flavor-aid. In hindsight, his obscure references with five dollar words schtick was both annoying and a terrible fit for the NFL’s target audience.

3 Likes

Having spent too many years watching football (I was cured around 2012, never worry… I spend my Sunday now watching really bad movies and doing laundry, it’s FAR less stressful), that was a wonderful take on “replay” commentary. Would totally enjoy a whole show like that. I mean, if I still cared about football I would.

And yes, this player is a monster. That was an amazing run down.

2 Likes

God that was funny! And God, that guy is almost Darrell Green fast!

1 Like

Obligatory:

6 Likes

My cheeks now hurt from laughing too hard. That was brilliant.

3 Likes

Baseball I think would be the perfect application for comedian-level color commentary. Maybe golf too. Both are 99% waiting for something to happen with about 2 seconds of actual action, maybe every minute or two. While American football has a lot of downtime, there’s usually just enough time between the moments of action to dissect the action.

Basketball or soccer/football is right out.

1 Like

And cricket. Test Match Special can slip into comedy at times.

2 Likes

Oh my, I’m in tears

2 Likes

Obligatory:

Mandated:

2 Likes

Didn’t follow Rincewind’s number one rule of running never look back, it just slows you down.