Ronald Reagan sure made great Mac and Cheese

Cooked unsure (you eat 'em cold and they aren’t charred, but they are soft; might just be the result of marinading, might be light roasting or boiling), totally coated, yes. I’m unsure if the oil is actually chili oil or just olive oil with chili in it; probably the latter. Spicy vegetable with delicious sweet cheesyness inside (which mostly neutralises the chili after you bite in).

I buy them from the deli rather than make them myself, so I can’t give much more detail than that.

There’s a recipe at https://adelaidefoodies.com/2013/05/28/preserved-is-better-sweet-pepper-stuffed-feta/ that looks fairly similar, albeit with feta in place of mascarpone. More salty, less sweet.

3 Likes

That’s what it’d be here.

Wholegrain is the mild stuff with seeds in, Dijon is the bland grey stuff, Hot English is proper mustard (restrained yellow colour, wasabi-grade kick), American “mustard” is vaguely mustard-flavoured bright yellow ketchup.

2 Likes

Only if it isn’t good quality or reasonably fresh. The distance from Hungary or Spain will have a lot to do with this.

5 Likes

I tried the original white house eggnog recipe. I think the sherry wrecks it.

I haven’t tried this one, yet. I think I found it here at BoingBoing:
http://www.villagevoice.com/music/charles-mingus-secret-eggnog-recipe-will-knock-you-on-your-ass-6648662

To the Unpopular Opinions thread with you!

6 Likes

Perhaps you’ve been buying old stuff or keeping it in your shelf for too long. Paprika is awesome (and so is bay https://theawl.com/the-vast-bay-leaf-conspiracy-f9903ddbb520#.6bjtu8hsy)

3 Likes

Now we’re talking!

I also do a float shot (or small clear cup) I call the Lebowski Achiever (basically, eggnog instead of creme or half-and-half): strong eggnog from scratch because it’s more foamy with the eggwhites, floated on top of a Kahlua base. Kahlua is too sweet so I may do 40/40/20 cold espresso, kahlua and vodka or rum. Bourbon or bourbon/rum in the eggnog so the two layers aren’t the same booze. I suppose you could also try as a 3 layer separating out that vodka/rum but I haven’t really tried that. Either way… Careful, man, there’s a beverage here!

1 Like

You clearly know a thing about tastelessness.

I’d call you ghoulish but it’s too close to goulash, which you clearly don’t deserve!

6 Likes

I must be the only person that uses the box.

My recipe:
Box of cheap-ass store brand mac and cheese in a box
Leave out the milk (I usually don’t have it around), double the butter
add copious amounts of real cheddar
add can of tuna
add tabasco to taste
If I’m feeling healthy add broccoli.

2 Likes

I was hoping for some James Buchanan fan art, left disappointed :frowning:

I did manage to find this one of both Presidents Harrison:

Not bad, considering one died a month after becoming President, and the other was President despite never winning the popular vote.

I googled ‘what your favorite cheese says about you’ and soon learned that I’m apparently an interesting person, a freethinker, a liar, a cheat, and a horrible human being. I see no reason to think that any of these, in any combination, are contradictory.

1 Like

I’m sorry not to have recognized you, Mr. Former President.

2 Likes

That isn’t really Swiss cheese; that’s American swiss processed cheesefood.
Emmenthaler and Gruyère are lovely cheeses with a good firm texture and a bite that ranges from mild to eye-watering.

6 Likes

I’ll box sometimes. I grew up on it so box mac has a lot of nostalgia for me. I don’t always put tuna in it but I do pretty frequently.

1 Like

So of course I had to try, too!

Buzzfeed:

You are everything. Don’t let anyone else tell you anything different.

Damn straight!

Huff Post:

People always tell you that you “march to the beat of your own drummer,” but you think you’re actually pretty normal. You love long walks on the beach, red wine and 80s action movies.

80’s action movies? Sigh. And I know I’m not normal. :wink:

Spoon University(?):

Your personality is an acquired taste, just like the noted blue cheese flavor. Although viewed as a strong influence, you are knowledgeable and wise. People often seek your advice.

It’s like they know me! :grin:

(It should be noted that my answers were different on each site because they each offered a different selection to choose between.)

2 Likes

That’s a kinda bizarre comment. It has a very strong taste, of, well, paprika. How else would you make the various kinds of Gulasch?

Granted, you need a much larger amount than with most other spices, but it’s not exactly expensive.

seems like you should muddle the zest of the lemon with the sugar to draw out the oils

Speaking of, the place where I often buy sandwiches for lunch makes a mean tuna melt. It seems so blah, and I don’t know why it occurred to me to order it in the first place (other than, having honestly thought about it, I couldn’t recall when I’d actually had one). But, done a certain way, it’s great: where the tuna spreads out onto the grill, it gets browned and the end result tastes like corned beef hash (which, presumably, everyone loves).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.