Ronald Reagan sure made great Mac and Cheese

That sounds more or less like Welsh rarebit on macaroni instead of toast. Sounds good!

2 Likes

You may not love the Gipper

You got that right.

8 Likes

I love SharpWriter’s presidential art. Here’s Bill Clinton:

George Washington:

Richard Nixon:

And of course, Dubya:

7 Likes

Or Velveeta!

4 Likes

I seem to remember someone came up with a jelly bean jar that was also a bust of Reagan’s head.

It was sold empty.

11 Likes

I’ve been trying to find / recreate this stove top macaroni recipe I forgot to write down and the closest one I’ve found has dry mustard in it like this one. I tried it that way once and no, no, no, terrible. Maybe with the Worcestershire the mustard works?

It’s a little hot here for using the oven right now anyway. :sweat: I’ve barely baked anything in three months.

2 Likes

Ye gods! Eggs? This is just a cheese custard.

Nopenopenopenopenope.

Make a roux – butter and, say, six tablespoons of flour (amount not critical). Whisk on medium low heat to toast the flour a bit. Then add a bit of milk, stir till it thickens, add a bit more, repeat until all the milk is in.

Cheddar is traditional but I like it better with a mix of cheeses. You can use nearly anything melty.Take the thickened milk off heat and whisk it all in a bit at a time. I use about half sharp cheddar, and half other things like gruyere and manchego.

The mustard and worcestershire are good additions. I find cayenne essential.

Elbows are traditional but pretty much anything either tubular or with a lot of nooks and crannies works. I’ve used small ziti, gemelli and rotini successfully. BTW, this is a very good application for whole grain pasta. It adds a heartiness that is pretty tasty.

Get off the train here if you like your macaroni creamy. If you like it southern style, pour it into a pyrex baking dish. Then cook some Panko and garlic in a pan with either butter or olive oil until the panko is toasted brown. Mix with parmesan and sprinkle the mixture over the macaroni. Bake for about 30 minutes or so at 375, until bubbly. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes or so.

This recipe sounds like an omelette with noodles. Yuck.

8 Likes

Sharp cheddar, no starch, no emulsifier, and 40 minutes in the oven. Is there any chance that this wouldn’t be utterly broken, with all the cheese reduced to rubbery, polymerized curds floating in a sea of expressed water and deep slicks of millkfat grease?

Somehow that seems appropriate.

2 Likes

Being a fan of Nixon, Reagan & W, I’m definitely buying those!

My favorite, which might be from Alton Brown:

1/2 lb. elbow macaroni
4 tbs butter
2 eggs
6 oz evaporated milk
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
black pepper
3/4 oz dry mustard
10 oz shredded sharp cheddar

In a large pot, cook pasta to al dente, then drain. Return pasta to pot and melt butter into pasta, then toss to coat.

In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Stir this into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat, continue to stir for at least 3 minutes or until creamy.

I usually use a bit more cheese and as sharp as I can find. I'll also sometimes brown a pound of ground beef and mix that in with the cheese. Increase cooking time a minute or two if you do this. (Sorry, but my guideline for that is "cook until done," which isn't that helpful.)
2 Likes

Here’s a recipe I’ve used a couple of times. It uses mustard but I’m not quite sure whether they meant prepared or dry; I’ve used the former.
225g (7 oz) macaroni
80g (2 3/4 oz) butter
1 onion, finely chopped (← I think this could be optional)
3 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups (500ml/16 fl oz) milk
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard (← I assume they meant brown mustard, but I wonder if they meant mustard seeds)
250g (8 oz) cheddar, grated
30g (1 oz) breadcrumbs

1. Cook pasta and drain. Preheat oven to 180°C (250°F/Gas 4) and grease a casserole.
  2. Melt butter in a large pan over low heat. Cook onion for 5 mins. or until softened. Stir in flour and cook for 1 min., or until pale and foaming. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk. Return to heat and stir until sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 mins. Stir in mustard and about 3/4 of the cheese. Season to taste.
  3. Mix the pasta with the cheese sauce. Spoon into the casserole and sprinkle breadcrumbs and remaining cheese on the top. Bake for 15 mins. or until golden brown and bubbling.

(From The Complete Cookbook, Murdoch Books (that Murdoch, I guess? It’s Australian), 2002. I bought it on sale at a Barnes & Noble. It’s the size of a phone book and heavier than a dictionary.)

What I really want to make is the mac & cheese I had in Texas. That version used smoked gouda and chipotle in the sauce. I’m thinking andouille sausage would be a good addition.

4 Likes

The onion is noooot optional. for the stove top version. It absolutely makes the stove top version. :slight_smile: Minus the mustard and reserving part of the cheddar and plus using specifically the bechamel method, step 2 is exactly the method for my missing recipe.

I’ll try your proportions (minus the mustard) next time I’m doing my stove top mac and see if it does what it’s supposed to. :smiley:

4 Likes

I think you and I would get along famously.

2 Likes

When in doubt, in the US it means prepared yellow mustard. The rest of the world means toasted mustard seed. Apologies to Canada, I don’t trust your mustard.

3 Likes

The book’s Australian, but I can report that prepared brown mustard didn’t foul up the dish.

Don’t need much leverage when you’re eat’n mac-n-cheese.

1 Like

He should team up with Tingle for some presidential themed raptor butt novels.

2 Likes

Why not? Look me up if you are ever in Michigan.

1 Like

Dry mustard. Otherwise you’re introducing vinegar.

2 Likes

White house recipes are a fun little quirk. I still base my chili on an LBJ recipe I found on Wikipedia.

2 Likes