Rosetta probe's last images before colliding with comet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/21/rosetta-probes-last-images-b.html

4 Likes

I assume those glowing things at about the 1-minute mark are Jawa eyes, as they watch and wait for Rosetta to land so they can cart it off for resale?

8 Likes

tumblr_p71hl2ManG1vaskkeo1_500

6 Likes
3 Likes

Holy crap alien symbols on the comet’s surface to the upper left of the image!

2 Likes

Ow my nose!

4 Likes

12 Likes

Last words: “Ohhhh Shhiiii-”

4 Likes

Nothing moved.

There was silence.

The sun struggled feebly with the mist, tried to impart a little warmth here, shed a little light there, but clearly today was going to be just another long haul across the sky.

Nothing moved.

Again, silence.

Nothing moved.

Silence.

Very often on Squornshellous Zeta, whole days would go on like this, and this was indeed going to be one of them.

Fourteen hours later the sun sank hopelessly beneath the opposite horizon with a sense of totally wasted effort.

And a few hours later it reappeared, squared its shoulders and started on up the sky again.

This time, however, something was happening. A mattress had just met a robot.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Who doesn’t know lasers would not even penetrate their navigation shields.

Didn’t even have to click. Not at all sure I am bragging.

2 Likes

This is the quote I got (I’ve mercy-edited the whale):

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now.”

4 Likes

Obviously the original images were too high resolution, so they kept the camera moving in a highly compressed YouTube video, thus rendering it in a more human-friendly blur.

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s poem I recite when I’m constipated.

4 Likes

O Cloacina, Goddess of this place,
Look on thy suppliants with a smiling face.
Soft, yet cohesive let their offerings flow,
Not rashly swift nor insolently slow.

(Typically attributed to Lord Byron; and I wouldn’t put it past him.)

3 Likes

I translates as, “If you can read this, you are two close.”

2 Likes

Nerd Alert!!! Nerd Alert!!! Nerd Alert!!! This is not a drill!!!

But the Star Wars Universe does has deflector shields; which can even be “angled”.

I like the idea that, in Star Wars, they have reached an unusual situation where defencive technology currently has the edge on offensive system; forcing attackers to get right up close in order to do any damage.

3 Likes

Update:

Beam Vader over - have the biofilter remove the midichlorians.

6 Likes

But there was only one Rosetta probe?

1 Like