Rot the eyes right out of your head with this collection of 60 free Film Noir classics

I already have two copies of “The Bat” through other sets like that. Heck, I may even have “Shock” now that I think about it; it sounds familiar. I have two collection sets that have 400 movies total and I doubt I’ll get through them all in my lifetime.

1 Like

“Bleh. No Cat People.”

Perhaps CP is too good for the list. Or (shudder!) unknown to the list makers. Or CP could be mistaken for a horror film (although it is film noir).

2 Likes

Or not in the Public Domain…

1 Like

D.O.A. and more recently, Altered Carbon.

1 Like

I was wondering that myself. After checking that…

It’s been taken off Internet Archive. I don’t think it’s genuinely public domain.

Thanks to BoingBoing for alerting me to TCM & Ball State’s Film Noir course a few years ago. (I got an ‘A’!) Scarlet Street and Detour were indeed on the list, but those are two that I didn’t see.

4 Likes

Has it been archived in the Library of Congress?

2 Likes

Yeah, nothing beats the atmosphere of this one, from dark streets lit by single streetlamps, to that excellent interior scene in the swimming pool (which has inspired several other homages). And creepy characters, wow!

2 Likes

Hey! My daughter and I took that course as well (and also got As)! Fun stuff. Some of the movies we studied in that course are available through the link, including the excellent “Detour,” “DOA,” “The Strange Love of Martha Ivers,” and “Too Late for Tears.” I also highly recommend “The Amazing Mr. X” and “Kansas City Confidential.”

4 Likes

I think they’ve done one every summer! This year it’s musicals; I forgot what last summer was…

2 Likes

I got emails from Canvas for a while, but they quit some time ago; I had no idea they were still doing those movie courses! … we also got rid of cable over a year ago. The only channel I miss is TCM. Sigh…

2 Likes

Hitchcock.

Are you taking the current one?

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. On the other hand, I’m taking piano lessons, which I wasn’t doing in any previous summers.

1 Like

Ooh, great movie. (But I already have that one on LaserDisc. A few years back I dubbed the Val Lewton Collection to dv files.)

Also partial to all of the Tourneur Lewton films, really. And Ghost Ship.

3 Likes

Oh, just in case there’s anyone here who hasn’t seen it, I’d recommend Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid.

The more of these old films you’ve seen, the funnier it gets. I was in 6th grade when it came out; I hadn’t seen any of those films but at least knew who many of the actors were (as 36 years ago was still closer to the film era in question, and a lot of those actors were still alive. Kirk Douglas and, of course, Carl Reiner are still with us!).
2 Likes

Yes! I saw it around the same time along with a surprise (6 months early) sneak preview of E.T.

One of the best cinema nights I’ve ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.