Ruben Bolling won the 2017 Herblock Prize!

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/07/congratulations-ken-fisher-cr.html

12 Likes

I was kind of wondering why there had been no story about this, considering the news has been out for two weeks now. Oh well.

2 Likes

I was trying to figure out if Ruben Bolling was an anagram for something. The only thing I could come up with was “Lone Burbling.” Do we know the origin of the pseudonym?

5 Likes

Good show old-man!

4 Likes

Bolling (never knew that was a pseudonym) announced it on Twitter a week or so ago.

But, you know, there’s been so much going on . . .

6 Likes

Congratulations, Mr. Fisher. It would be a well-deserved honour if only for the creation of Lucky Ducky.

4 Likes

Calvin. And Hobbes.

I only just now got that after all these years thanks to the headline.

14 Likes

Given the present political atmosphere, I’m hoping that "Ken Fisher’ isn’t his real name.

3 Likes

It’s always weird to find out someone whose name you’re familiar with is just a pseudonym. Next we’ll learn “Rob Beschizza” is just the pen name for a 74-year-old Australian woman named Gwendolyn McKenzie.

17 Likes

Or a sixteen-year-old Canadian woman named Julia?

4 Likes

Congratulations, Mr. Fisher! A well-deserved honor for someone who consistently delivers the goods.

P.S. I’m glad I’m not the only one here who didn’t know “Ruben Bolling” was a pseudonym … IF it’s a pseudonym …

7 Likes

The truth is out.

His real name is Glen N. Boilrug.

4 Likes

Congrats Ruben on a well-deserved win! There’s something special about his cartoons - a humor that is borne out of rage, you could say. His best strips are the ones that make me laugh, then want to cry when I see the underlying truth behind it.

4 Likes

Congrats, Mr. Fisher! Always glad when an artist I’m a fan of is honored with an award :slight_smile:

Loved the Calvin & Hobbes riff! I wonder if Bill Watterson will see it. I suspect he’ll approve given his own subtle use of philosophy and satire.

Her name is MacKenzie. Get the spelling right! :wink:

2 Likes

I notice the article and header have been edited, so who is keyser söze ken fisher?

2 Likes

I almost went with my grandmother’s maiden name when I started writing: Sweet.

6 Likes

And it would turn into a ballroom blitz!

Also enormous congratulations to Mr. Fisher although I prefer the pseudonym. I’d love to take a Ruben Bolling.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Nicely done! Congrats!

1 Like

A few more anagrams to consider:

http://new.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=ruben+bolling&t=500&a=n

1 Like