Rules for Regulars

Must read enough fibrous posts to be capital-R Regular.

7 Likes

They really are the best mansplainers around :wink: :wink: :open_mouth:

9 Likes

I like not liking posts that have 24.

@OtherMichael can explain. :wink:

2 Likes

10 Likes

13 Likes

Things have been so busy for me that I actually lost regular status (Not a big deal) but somehow still managed to get regular status again after some of the requirements were relaxed. Go figure.

It always bugged me that some of my favorite happy mutants didn’t hit Tl3 until long after I did.
@Mindysan33 is a perfect example of someone who deserves a higher level trust and a badge (even if it’s a token badge) of honor/infamy (Take your pick) like “regular” over someone like me who’ll sometimes write up a reply to a post only to end up deleting it before posting because after, careful consideration, I might realize I wouldn’t really be adding anything to the conversation.

So what is the solution?
I propose we give regulars the ability to vote in up to 5 honorary regulars.

No, I don’t think regular’s should be in charge of deciding who gets to be a regular. But I do think regulars know who the top contributors are and can “help” the community identify those who might not fit the definition of the “model” regular.

Keeping the quota low, would go a long way towards making it hard to game.
I haven’t really thought this through and there might be unintended consequences, but I really feel like objectivity can be taken too far if we don’t allow humans to reign in the shortcomings of a system that we know can’t possibly be close to perfect.

Adding @codinghorror since it’s an enhancement suggestion.

7 Likes

I think @Codinghorror follows most of the meta topics, since they are by definition about the BBS.

So more in general to all involved:

I started this topic because I felt the method for determining regular status might have been a bit off for the volume of posts on this site. We (and I include myself in we) have drifted into other topics along the way. If people want to discuss likes, special badges, or anything else, please open a different “meta” topic.

The first tweak @codinghoror made pulled in 20 some odd folks, the moment he flipped the switch. A lot of them are people we expected to see, as they’ve been contributing a lot to the BBS. I suspect that some of the folks we all consider regular contributors are just under the threshold right now, and may get bumped up in short order. My own intention is to close this topic within a week or two. Thanks to everyone for your input.

10 Likes

Before we close this, I think that there’s another regular rule that almost goes without saying. I remember seeing somewhere that getting posts flagged counts against trust level.

That way, even if you have met all the other criteria, if you’re not following rule one, then no soup badge for you.

3 Likes

I still like the Slashdot system a lot, with extremly rare moderation points, different types of ratings (funny, interesting, off-topic, flamebait etc) and meta-moderation as control mechanism.

2 Likes

I would never presume on your taste. That you do the job you do is confusing enough. I’d never choose to be a garbage collector, but I admire the people who go into that line of work.

They’re one of the guardians of civilization. Like you.

4 Likes

Is it just me, or are the fingers on his left hand a lot shorter than the ones on his right hand?

It was a good tweak, too; on a very busy site nobody could read 25% of all the content. It’s taken us a while to get to that point as BBS has grown. So a cap on read requirements for TL3 is completely sensible, and that is now a feature that’s being rolled out to all Discourse sites. It just won’t matter until your site is quite large. Anyway, I was happy to reach consensus on that and I completely agree it was needed, so this topic is a “meta success” from my perspective!

(BBS activity stats on reading, posting, and liking have grown very steadily over the past few years. What hasn’t grown very much, oddly, is the number of logged in accounts returning to the BBS site every day or week. It seems BBS tends to roughly lose as many “regulars” as it gains, in aggregate. Or else it’s creating super-enthusiasts who return a lot.)

BBS is the 11th biggest Discourse we track, across all of them we know of, so it’s … considerable.

15 Likes

Huh. Kind of like a cosmological constant. Or MOND. At normal scales it’s not really a thing. But grow a few orders of magnitude and it makes all the difference in the universe.

2 Likes

12 Likes

[drums fingers…]

11 Likes

Just think how big it would be if threads weren’t knee-capped at 10k posts…

5 Likes

More gamification!

Is there a league table somewhere? Who’s above us?

18 Likes

Yes! Are we going to settle for 11th place? NO I SAY! wait don’t I already have the addict regular badge telling me I spend too much of my online time here anyway.

10 Likes

I bet it’s Bronycon.

8 Likes

That might be challenging. Their customer list is pretty impressive.

4 Likes