Rural Ohio has you covered

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Does not look very rural to me. Cars, sidewalks, buildings, traffic lights. This looks more like a small town. I thought rural means fields and barns.

4 Likes

You thought wrong. Rural doesnā€™t mean you donā€™t have cars, sidewalks, building and traffic lights. I grew up in rural Indiana and New Mexico. We had all of those there. In general, a rural area is a geographic area that is located outside cities and towns. The Health Resources and Services Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services defines the word ā€œruralā€ as encompassing ā€œā€¦all population, housing, and territory not included within an urban area. Whatever is not urban is considered rural.ā€
I took this picture in Loganville, Ohio, itā€™s pretty rural out there.

6 Likes

I was expecting a drive-through liquor and guns store.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Logan Ohio, population 7152.

The closest Google Streetview, but the car has not gone down Main street yet.

Maybe thatā€™s the modern definition of rural.

3 Likes

My home town, actually.

ā€œBeer & Visitor Infoā€ pretty much covers it.

1 Like

Looks like a pretty good combination to me. Whereā€™s the joke?

2 Likes

Hm, whatā€™s in the burritos?

1 Like

The tourism is a double-edged sword. A lot of the rural outlying land is being bought up to build cabins and vacation homes. Itā€™s raising property values, but also encouraging people to sell family homes and move out. A whole lot of people that my parents knew their whole lives have sold their land and moved elsewhere within the past decade. The area to the south is increasingly becoming a place for gift shops, vacation homes, and cabins, rather than somewhere that people actually live.

The tourism industry is also big enough (I canā€™t find statistics at the moment, but Iā€™m almost certain it was about 1/3 of the countyā€™s income the last time I looked) to cause some other issues. Tourism creates a lot of jobs for people to run cash registers, clean cabins, and such. Other thingsā€¦ not so much. Thereā€™s very little white collar work, and out of everybody I know who went to college after high school, thereā€™s only a single person who didnā€™t have to move away to find a job in their field. This isnā€™t exactly an uncommon situation in a rural area, but still. In the context of Logan, when I see ā€œBeer & Visitor Infoā€ the cynical part of my mind translates it as ā€œthereā€™s nothing to do but drink, and we are selling the county to out-of-towners one acre at a time.ā€

6 Likes

Yes, but they define ā€˜urbanā€™ as a settlement of more than 2,500 people. Is this part of Logan, Ohio? The census bureau list that as an ā€˜urban areaā€™ with a population of 8080.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely inside a town, though. It looks like your basic small-town downtown; thatā€™ll be the densest part of the town, two- and three-story buildings lining the streets, with small businesses at ground level and either more businesses or apartments above. It may be a very small town in a generally rural area, but still.

Not a big deal, Iā€™m just picky about semantics. As are we all, apparently!

1 Like

Yah, seriously! Sometimes country folks have the right idea about things.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œHeather, post:3, topic:55770ā€]
I took this picture in Loganville, Ohio, itā€™s pretty rural out there.
[/quote]Wait. Do you mean ā€œLogan, OHā€, the ~7000-pop. county seat of Hocking County, or ā€œLogansville, OHā€, the tiny rural crossroads in Logan County?

(AFAICT, there is no Loganville-no-ā€œsā€ in Ohio.)

The pic looks more like Logan than Logansville to me.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure Rural on BoingBoing means no Apple Store.

2 Likes

So you donā€™t recommend the burritos?

ā€¦ I could go for a burrito and a beer right about nowā€¦

If the main reason the town is there is because that is where the grain silos are then I would judge it rural. You wonā€™t find any grain silos here in cityville. (try to stretch the analogy a little before deciding I donā€™t know what I am talking about.) Another way to look at it; if the town is where the farmers or hunters go to buy hardware then it is rural.

There are grain silos in Chicago.

2 Likes

Rural Ohio has you covered

I know, but covered in what?

5 Likes