Russia bans trans people from driving

Apparently, consulting a psychologist is still seen as shameful in some parts of the world.

2 Likes

Hypothesis: Putin himself does not care that much but needs to kiss up to the Church over there in order to maintain power?

3 Likes

???

So what were the colonial slave societies, if not modern economies in modern countries? what was ancient regime France? what were second serfdom Poland and Russia?

Closer to this, what was the Victorian and post-Victorian crusade against sexual diversity, if not modern?

1 Like

Ok… I’d like to piont out that this is just as bad that it would target people who have, say, bipolar. Fight the stigma.

2 Likes

Come on Russia, what are you doing? As a queer lady, Russia’s treatment of LGBT people is obviously quite personal for me, but I still want to make one thing clear.

Russians are amazing people. I live right next to Russia (I’m Finnish), meet them all the time, and have visited St. Petersburg as well as small villages in the heartland of Russia. They are the most warm and welcoming people I know. So I just want to separate these horrible policies (which some people support, I’m sure, but Russia is a huge country with many opinions) from the actual, live Russian people.

If you’d like to see the diversity of Russian life, I recommend Ville Haapasalo’s documentaries.

Let me be clear that I’m in no way trying to minimize the terrible, oppressive things that the Russian goverment is doing. I’m just telling you to give the Russian people themselves a chance. Maybe visit the country and see for yourself.

8 Likes

Recently, I watched Charlie Booker’s 2014 Wipe, The bit on Russia begins here, at 28:23

and describes a Russian state, bent on playing all sides at once, in an effort to manipulate everyone.

1 Like

Actually, I thought the high rate of traffic accidents in Russia was down to criminals forcing accidents as a form of insurance fraud. That’s why there were so many dash-cams recording the meteor at Chelyabinsk a couple of years ago: because Russian drivers have them to document any accident they’re involved in.

5 Likes

Seriously? They were societies that were moving towards modernity, but none of your examples were at all modern.

I think we might be getting sidetracked a bit by the definition of modern. Let me rephrase the notion: Without real freedom for all you cannot successfully build a liberal democratic society and benefit from the wealth generation effects of capitalism.

Yes, there are issues with every word in that sentence, all of which we are free to debate in a (relatively) liberal democratic society that benefits from the (relative) wealth generation of capitalism.

I don’t see them as separate, or possible to separate without changing the base parameters. Not that other concepts won’t work necessarily, but they will need to do so on their own logic.

1 Like

It sounds like the law is specifying specific “mental disorders” that now disqualify one from driving, not that they’ve simply banned everyone with a condition labeled a mental disorder.

3 Likes

Well, it would depend on the context, but I think the [second] Black Death is the most important break-point for Europe and the Mediterranean in the period. It destroyed the medieval world, and then people built the modern world.

1 Like

In retrospect I wish I’d dispensed with the sarcasm entirely and stated my thoughts in a straightforward way. I may be assuming too much in thinking that the Russian government’s justification for including trans people will be victim blaming. Then again some of the attacks on LGBT people in Russia have been accompanied by a disturbing “they brought this on themselves” attitude.

1 Like

And it’s a great way to recruit violent, psychopathic thugs to your cause.

2 Likes

Really, Russia would be better off if they denied drivers licenses to racist, homophobic assholes. Shouldn’t affect Putin. He has a chauffeur doesn’t he?

2 Likes

I visited Russia about fifteen years back and I’ve always wanted to go again. Other than Moscow (which may have been unfairly tainted by a bus breaking down but which I still maintain was objectively terrible), I loved my time there. It’s been really disheartening over the past five years to find that I will probably never be able to go back in this lifetime. To never see Novgorad, the Hermitage, or the amazing old architecture, to never pal around with Russians again …

I didn’t drive last time I didn’t drive and I wouldn’t drive on my parallel universe next trip either but these things are never just one isolated thing. It’s not safe for me in Russia and with the direction they’ve been heading, it probably won’t be anytime soon.

To all my trans, bi, lesbian, and gay siblings in Russia, please find some way to let us know if there’s anything we can do to help you.

4 Likes

Fascinating! Thank you for that.

The non-linear warfare idea - isn’t that really what the War on Terror™ is and the War on Drugs™ before it?

1 Like

That’s funny. I don’t think my driving changed when I started HRT to transition.

(For reals, though, my biggest fear was getting pulled over by a cop and not having my drivers license gender match my face.)

4 Likes

I keep imagining what I would do to those people if it were my family member.
Perhaps it’s easier to feel anger than sadness, especially if not directly connected with the incident but I can’t help but feel her family are better people than I.

We’ve definitely tried, in various forms. The evidence that extreme racism shares the features of psychotic disorders - irrational beliefs in spite of contradictory evidence, seeing things (guns?) and hearing things (whistling at white women?) that don’t exist, and so on.

(In my graduate program, the professor of our multicultural mental health class gave an assignment to write a DSM diagnosis using the syntax and format of the DSM-IV addressing a cultural feature we felt fit the bill of a disorder. I had a good time writing up “Gender Rigidity Disorder.”)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.