Russia sends troops into Kazakhstan

Originally published at: Russia sends troops into Kazakhstan | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Putin and other Russian leaders want to stomp down on this very quickly. They are afraid of their own citizens getting ideas. (It’s also why Russia fucked with Ukraine in the first place; after the Ukrainian people ousted Yanukovych, they couldn’t allow the country to become stable and successful, lest the Russian people start thinking it might be possible in Russia, too.)

20 Likes

selfie sunglasses GIF

12 Likes

I wonder how China feels about its border with Russia getting 1800 km longer.

Europeans will be asking similar questions soon enough as Tsar Vlad continues to revive the old Russian/Soviet empire.

Neighbour China called the events an internal matter for Kazakhstan.

That moment when the deranged old lady next door invites her meth-dealer adult children to move back in and you resign yourself to the fact that you can’t sell your house.

16 Likes

What’s really bizarre with this year’s flavor of Russian exterritorial military operation is that the riots were caused by high energy prices allegedly due to Kazakhstan becoming a hub for crypto mining..

19 Likes

What a stupid time to be alive!

19 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see how a country whose economy is smaller than Australia’s - and much less successful - tries to maintain an empire.

6 Likes

Crypto was using up a tenth of the country’s electricity last year, use spiking just as winter’s extremely cold temperatures set in. Crypto literally caused people to freeze to death. No one can credibly talk about crypto being benign in its impact, now.

17 Likes
11 Likes

Oh no, the poor crypto miners :confused: /s

4 Likes

I mean, they’re literally the cause of the problem, so…

6 Likes

it’s my guess it probably also contributed to the texas power grid failure last winter. aging grids and hungry computers don’t wix well

4 Likes

Props for the Strider picture. That was such a great game.

Come to think of it, 2048 isn’t too far away…

2 Likes

Cryptocurrency is so wasteful it caused riots?

The headline on this daily beast story seemed a little premature

3 Likes

“Putin’s nightmare” appears to be over.

4 Likes

yeah unfortunately. I’ve heard the term bandit being bandied about by Putin and his ilk, but to me, it seems quaint.

2 Likes

It’s still a common word in Russian, used where English speakers might use “thug” or “hoodlum”. I also like how it sounds to my Western ears.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.