Russia used 150,000 Twitter accounts to meddle in Brexit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/15/russia-used-150000-twitter-ac.html

1 Like

Those ruskie spambots on twitter can be something else. A few years ago, well over a thousand of them followed me on twitter. It took me several sessions over a few weeks to block them all

7 Likes

In before the “nothing to see here, it has nothing to do with Russia, let me see how I can derail this thread” crowd.

10 Likes

I am not aware of the existence of this crowd, outside of the actual White House. What have you been reading?

2 Likes

Then again, the core Brexit voter doesn’t even know what Twitter is.

1 Like

The commenters here who try to derail every single thread on the topic of Putin’s attempts to undermine confidence in Western liberal democracy – various “useful idiots” and the occasional drive-by from a St Petersburg troll farm gigger.

9 Likes

“We couldn’t have been so dumb to vote for Brexit - must have been the Russians!”

3 Likes

Putin and his advisors are the real progenitors of the post-truth era, and anyone who thought they weren’t leveraging any of the social media platforms that allow unchecked posting of political speech is a naive fool. Even when he gets caught, it’s far too late to do anything about it - hats off to Putin, boy knows what he’s doing. Western politicians look like idiots in comparison. Which is a singularly depressing thought.

3 Likes

Putin is a busy little bee.

2 Likes

150,000 is a whole lot of bots. So, how many did they increase to for the US election?

2 Likes
5 Likes

Should we be calling Putin “Mister Brexit”? Someone else was claiming to be in charge of UK politics back then…

5 Likes

“Tovarish Brexit” seems more appropriate.

2 Likes

“Mr Brexit” is a composite character, a collaborative effort by a team of like-minded (and very manly) artistes who’ve been using the industrialised West as their canvas.

2 Likes

2 Likes

com-3953581

2 Likes

Russians really figured out how to do mass propaganda and psych-ops via social media before anyone else. Sneaky bastards.

1 Like

No, it looks to me the woman in the hijab is in a state of shock.

2 Likes

I find that oddly comforting since, without a nudge from Putin, it would be more startling than it is that German voters could award one seat in parliament, let alone 13% of them, to members of a far-right party that panders to bigots and nationalists (“what could go wrong?”). The Germans couldn’t be dumb enough to do that without “help.”

1 Like

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that Twitter is now overwhelmingly a force for evil and any redeeming qualities it may have are no longer enough to justify its continued existence.

So is there, like, a plug we can pull somewhere or…

3 Likes