Russian tanker loses fight with Korean bridge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/28/russian-tanker-loses-fight-wit.html

5 Likes

Always remember to update your GPS.

14 Likes

Why, I could get there blindfolded! I remember doing this run in ‘63…just watch me!

11 Likes

Where’s the earth shattering kaboom? There was supposed to be a earth shattering kaboom…

12 Likes

He was probably looking at his phone.

15 Likes

Surprisingly little damage to both bridge and ship

You can see it was powering full astern to slow down, and almost made it

12 Likes

Most underwhelming, multi-hundred-thousand-dollar crash ever.

8 Likes

Looks like the pilot had trouble getting out of port.

Never completed the turn.

7 Likes

4:20 strikes again.

5 Likes

That’ll buff out.

14 Likes

My first guess was some sort of mechanical failure, stuck rudder situation and that overhead view makes it seem like the simplest explanation, but that 4:20 time and the .086 alcohol in the blood makes me second guess about some sort of Korean Marina party time situation instead.

3 Likes

0.08 for a Russian? That only means he’s still alive.

14 Likes

Captain Pedantic checking in. That’s some sort of general cargo ship; tankers don’t have cranes on them.

17 Likes

So where is the harbor pilot during all this? And hitting this bridge is a huge screwup, if only because it’s so bleeding obvious you’re heading towards the wrong part of the channel.

You can see him trying to slow down before the crash, but possibly not hard enough.

And I agree it’s more likely a general bulk cargo ship for smaller ports without unloading gear, but it could also be for general cargo. Hard to say without digging up info on the ship, which I don’t need to do.

4 Likes

So close tho!!! I was really rooting for him.

6 Likes

0.08 might not be drunk enough to crash a boat, but it’s definitely drunk enough to take nap in a chair.

10 Likes

I don’t see why they don’t simply raise the bridge. That, or lower the water a few feet. I don’t think a sign nor a traffic light is going to keep vessels from hitting the bridge.

31 Likes

I think you’re right. How’s that working out for the old 11’8" bridge?

5 Likes

In russia the .083 represents the blood content of his alcohol system

6 Likes

Ships captain was shit faced, not good.

7 Likes