Sad news: truck-eating bridge to be raised this week

Maybe under the cover of darkness he can remove the manhole cover from that sidewalk every night and wait for hilarity the next day.

8 Likes

The Westwood MA bridge was raised from 10’6’ to 12’ plus and they still had to then lower the road to cut down on the number of Storrowings:

14 Likes

Um, they tried driving a bunch of vehicles under it. Surely that should have opened up that hole a bit. Gave up too soon!

8 Likes

Can’t he just make a taller website?

19 Likes

No one said they couldn’t raise the bridge, just that the railroad wouldn’t.

3 Likes

How much would one of these cost?

6 Likes

People weren’t just saying the railroad was stubborn, people said it would cost north of a billion dollars.

They were arguing that no one would be able to pay for a workable raising. People went a far way past saying “the railroad just wouldn’t”.

3 Likes

To be fair, raising the bridge high enough to accommodate standard 13’6" trucks would likely be very expensive. This is really a compromise, and I’m sure there will still be the occasional canopener. It’ll just become a bit more of a rarity.

5 Likes

From the FAQ:

Could they install a low-clearance bar?

A low clearance bar is a bar suspended by chains ahead of the bridge. Overheight vehicles hit that bar first and the noise alerts the driver to to the problem. I understand that this approach has been successful in other places, but it’s not practical here. There are many overheight trucks that have to be able to drive right up to the bridge and turn onto Peabody St. in order to deliver supplies to several restaurants. Making Peabody St inaccessible from Gregson St would make the restaurant owners and the delivery drivers very unhappy.

10 Likes

Nobody should pay. The bridge should remain as it is and the stupid incompetent jackasses who ignored the warning signs should continue to get what they deserve.

2 Likes

I so seldom get to be right on the internet. Do me the courtesy of allowing me to remember my vanquished internet foes as unthinking radical extremists who hated reason and shunned all goodness.

/s

6 Likes

What business? Show me the price list he had.
So much @$%#@# over saving idiots from the consequences of their own stupidity. Everyone who ever lost a truck at that bridge should be prevented from driving for the rest of their lives.

There are health and safety issues to be considered, to put it mildly.

7 Likes

And the pedestrians and innocent vehicles that could be hit with the resultant debris, why did they “deserve” it?

4 Likes

And those affected by any passenger or freight train derailments?

1 Like

Honestly I’m happy for any US public infrastructure that gets public monies attention at this point.

6 Likes

The actual bridge hasn’t been struck in years. They installed a crash bar to prevent that.

2 Likes

The very last collision showed an excavator striking the bar and the bridge.

2 Likes

Fair. That’s an exception though. Not even sure the driver was aware of their load height at all.

1 Like

maybe substitute for an extra large red nose day laughter item