Can opener, open thy cans no more

The light has gone out in my life.

27 Likes
14 Likes

The construction will end an era of drivers not paying attention to signs and flashing lights warning them of the bridgeā€™s height and then having the top of their truck torn off.

Dump truck drivers: ā€œChallenge accepted.ā€

13 Likes

Okay, soā€¦ I RTFA, and I still didnā€™t see the info I was looking for:

I thought the infamous bridge ā€œcouldnā€™tā€ be physically raised or lowered?

11 Likes

Do not despair. Thereā€™s only so much they can raise it, and you can bet your bottom dollar that overheight trucks will still speed through that intersection.

If they raise it to 12ā€™, a 12ā€™4" truck will not be far behind.

12 Likes

Letā€™s pour one out for my 11-foot-8 comment thread bingo card, which I never really got to make good use of.

19 Likes

I donā€™t know, but Iā€™d guess theyā€™re showing that with enough negative social media attention, anything can be moved.

8 Likes

My best guess is that short-run grade for railway can be comparatively extreme. Not sure how much additional clearance that will provide, though, with the level crossings on either side of the bridge.

6 Likes

It always could be raised but the cost/labor is prohibitive. I am guessing the railroad has a way to shut down the mile or so of track to regrade the bridges plural as the track has to be raised very gradually and maybe the insurance companies are telling them it would now be cheaper for them to raise the bridge.

12 Likes

If they arenā€™t modifying the grade of the railroad (which it looks like they arenā€™t) then there are only two ways to ā€œraiseā€ the bridge: 1. reinforce the bridge while increasing clearance, or 2. lower the road bed.

Itā€™s possible with modern materials engineering, they can reduce the material thickness of the bridge while maintaining itā€™s load rating. However, I donā€™t think thatā€™s what they are doing, since they would still have to close it to rail traffic for quite some time.

So that means they are going with option #2. They may have figured out how to avoid cutting into the subsurface pipes that run under the road or they have a way of bypassing them temporarily while rebuilding them at a lower level to make room for a lower road surface.

8 Likes

According to this too-brief cable news article, they are ā€œraising the bridge eight inchesā€. Theyā€™ve been doing a lot of track work over there recently (though some of it was clearly removing a disused parallel line). I wonder if theyā€™re already in the process of chocking up the rail ties. The ā€œactual bridge raisingā€ is supposed to happen in one day.

9 Likes

Coming soon: The Durham Train Jump!

13 Likes

Iā€™m always cautious when newspapers or TV news says ā€œraiseā€ because that could just as easily mean they are lowering the road.

But if youā€™ve seen rail work over there, then they are probably raising the bridge. I just canā€™t imagine how they are raising it 8" without dozens of miles of track construction on either side to match the grade.

Other than @RickMycroftā€™s point about turning it into a ramp!

11 Likes

Apparently itā€™s a 100% NCRR project, which suggests only the rail bed and equipment is involved. Also, the budget is $500,000? What?

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget:

ā€œDeflate the tires!ā€

ā€œReminds me of stupid college kids driving U-Hauls on Storrow Driveā€¦ā€

5 Likes

Iā€™m pleased to see that my comments alone donā€™t generate a ā€œBingoā€.

5 Likes

I hope @frauenfelder is on this news and that his world is not shattered.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll give you a lower bridge in sympathy.

11 Likes

I appreciate this, though I am slightly disappointed by the lack of vehicles wedged under that bridge.

7 Likes

Iā€™d have to assume that this one was the straw that broke tore off the camelā€™s back:

3 Likes