Safely store your data and save 94% with 2TB of Genius Rescue cloud backup

[Read the post]

Wow, a lifetime promise for only $49! I wonder how that works when they go out of business? I paid even more than that for my car, but they don’t guarantee it for the rest of my life!

Let’s see what happens when you annuitize $49 at a generous 6%. Hmmm… three bucks a year? That should pay for enough redundant backup systems and security. Wait, no mention of security, scratch that part.

3 Likes

11 Likes

Read the TOS

I thought to myself, “This seems like a really good deal! I wonder what the fine print says.” Having then read the fine print, I discovered a few troubling issues:

1. You must at all times keep a running instance of their software on your computer. Can you trust their software? Who knows.
  2. That software must check in with their service at least once every thirty days. If it does not, Genius Rescue will delete your backups.
  3. Any disputes must be adjudicated in Bangalore, India. That may not be a problem for some, but it is a problem for me.
4 Likes

Kind of sounds like you’re running a torrent client.

When backing up all of your most important and sensitive files be sure to use the cheapest solution you can find, preferably a “lifetime” subscription, paid up front, all sales final, sold by an affiliate marketing liquidator for at least 90% off, under the legal jurisdiction of Bangalore, India, and that uses proprietary client software. This insures that you will get the absolute best security, reliability and support for years and years.

[quote]
Termination

…We reserve the right to suspend or terminate the Services at any time, without cause, with or without notice to you…

Jurisdiction

… MUST BE LITIGATED EXCLUSIVELY IN THE COURTS OF BANGALORE, INDIA AND BOTH PARTIES CONSENT TO VENUE AND PERSONAL JURISDICTION THERE…

Additional Terms applicable to use of GeniusRescue Backup

Some Services, including the GeniusRescue Backup and GeniusRescue Pro
Suite (the “Backup Packages”) are sold on a per-computer basis. …

With the exception of our business service, Services that include GeniusRescue Backup are not to be used for archiving. You must at all times hold an original copy of the data in the original location on the system it was backed up from. If you delete files from your computer that have been backed up we will remove the corresponding backup from our servers.…

If you wish to restore data backed up onto our servers we may require up to 72 hours notice…[/quote]

Sooo Awsome. Thank you Boing Boing Store!!!

5 Likes

How so? Would that fact, if true, be material to the discussion in any way?

Well I’m no expert, but it seems like an odd way to store data. Are they in fact using your drive as part of their cloud?

Generally not a totally bogus approach, but this depends heavily on the implementation. If every client is part of a distributed storage similar to Freenet and the redundancy is high enough it can work without running a huge storage farm at some central point.

[I didn’t read the BB shop post, so I have no idea if they use such a system it if it is described transparently]

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.