Safeway supermarket in San Francisco reports 160 shopping carts stolen in last month

A new local mini supermarket lost 80% of their carts the first week they were open in what real estate people call a “transitional” neighborhood.

Even in nicer areas, you can find a half dozen or so carts from the local store clustered any any bus stop.

I’ve seen an apparently healthy woman with three kids old enough to help trundllng a cart down the sidewalk with one (1) grocery bag in it. I doubt she trundled it back later.

Twice in my life I have overestimated my carrying ability (I cannot drive) and had to take a cart home. Both times I took it back to the store’s lot when done. Matter of personal honor.

Homeless encampments in this very friendly to such area are littered with them by the dozen or even hundred.

1 Like

The Jewel-Osco next to Wicker Park on Paulina in Chicago has/had a similar arrangement. The last time I shopped there more than a decade ago, the gaps were wide enough to fit a body through, but not a cart. However, it was sort of like a loading/unloading zone in front.

2 Likes

Disgusting. Being thrown into the ditch should is a privilege reserved for rideshare scooters.

I don’t thin it is the length of the pulse gives you the bit. That looks like Manchester code to me, though the burst is so short that it might not be.

2 Likes

It’s a small world, I remember when that shopping center was a Kmart. Wicker Park has changed quite a the past 20 years. I went back there a few years ago and marveled at elevated walkway which was an old derelict el train track back in 1998. I’m happy though that Quimby’s is still there and hasn’t changed one bit, except there are lot fewer free zines next to the door.

2 Likes

Ok, I acknowledge felony larceny is bad, but that’s pretty fucking cool.

Sounds like there is a market for me to sell luxury $1001 shopping carts!

2 Likes

You can make a decent chair from a shopping trolley.

1 Like

Is it, though? Weren’t property crimes under around a thousand bucks traditionally misdemeanors anyways before 47?

It seems that the real issue that prop 47 came up with was not what crimes people would actually be convicted of, but rather that prosecutors lost their ability to overcharge and force plea bargains. By not having the ability to charge people who committed what should be considered misdemeanor crimes with possible felonies, people had less reason to plea to misdemeanors without a trial.

You can still bring people to trial and convict them of misdemeanors. The problem is it’s expensive to do so. But then again, so is keeping people jailed for years.

3 Likes

That proposition passed in 2014. In 2019 California crime rates, including property crimes, were at record lows. Where’s the connection?

6 Likes

4 Likes

UK student/squat life in the 80s – beds/sofas made from forklift pallets; storage trays/chest of drawers made from bakery plastic stacking delivery trays; and armchairs made from shopping trolleys.
Any skip was worth a look in for material.

This is a modern and slightly more finished version.

4 Likes

Now, why did they have to take the wheels off? Provided they were new (not wonky), I would have preferred them to remain on the chair.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.