Salafist Terrorism

What about an illegitimate link? Your claim that Islam is the primary motivation for any terrorist activity is baseless and wrong.

Where do you get this from? How do you know that? Where’s your evidence? You even acknowledge that ISIS is a group fighting for sovereignty in the face of (perceived or actual) oppressive colonial occupation, just like the IRA, but somehow it’s not the same because of some supposed causal difference that cannot possibly be proven or disproven.

Islam seems to have some frightening magical power in your mind, as if a man might pick up the Quran, read it, and as a consequence decide to dedicate and sacrifice his life in a war against western decadence. That’s the core of your Islamophobia. Or if that laughable scenario isn’t what you meant, perhaps you’d like to furnish us with a more realistic scenario in which Islam causes terrorism? Or perhaps you’ll admit, as per your own words:

Which is it going to be, caze?

I won’t say that views like yours don’t exist in Paris, but I think you’d find yourself in with the nationalist, Marine Le Pen, borderline neo-nazi crowd. The gravity and horror of what happened a couple of weeks back escapes nobody, but nobody is suggesting that it happened in a vacuum either. Plenty of anger here is directed at François Hollande and the French state for its hand in causing such events. What the hell are we doing bombing Syria anyway, people ask. Have we learned nothing from Algeria?

No, nobody’s buying it that this city got attacked “because Islam” when it’s just about harder here to find a haram restaurant than halal. The ideology at work isn’t islamic, it’s nothing more complicated than “you get up in our business, we’ll get up in yours,” and it has been since modern terrorism was invented.

I’ve never much gone in for labels, and anyway I find “islamophobia” kind of a clunky word. But your position is founded on your own ignorance. If you were to educate yourself a little it would fall apart.

9 Likes