Sam Altman returns to OpenAI

So, not only do they bring Altman back, they fire all the women on the board and hire Larry Fucking Summers?

the whole thing smells - there’s another shoe yet to drop

9 Likes

also - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuxN3NbedKg

2 Likes

I’ve got it. He looks (in that picture) like My Two Dads-era Paul Reiser (l).
IMG_1700

7 Likes

he kinda does…

cult2cult

and?

4 Likes

3 Likes

The photo in the article is not Sam Altman; it is Paul Reiser playing Carter Burke in my favourite film, “Aliens”. Paul Reiser bears a passing resemblance to Sam Altman; and Carter Burke is the ne plus ultra of corporate shit-weasels who is more than happy to fuck people over for a goddamn percentage. :+1:

tumblr_cb16e4eda09e8ce4ebbf04e63533403e_8775edbe_500

Edit: I was too slow :older_man:

17 Likes

Start here…

11 Likes

I have honestly no idea who that might be…

thanx!

4 Likes

Looks nothing like him in that picture. I think it’s just that specific picture on the post, which I thought was him, until I read the headline. And I’ve just been on IMDB and realised how much of name Paul Reiser actually is. I’d forgotten he was in Curb. And Beverley Hills Cop. And Aliens. And Stranger Things.

4 Likes

as you said

Kind of a deadpan performer

4 Likes

Why, that’s 1980ies pop sensation Seona Dancing (Bill Macrae and Ricky Gervais).
They were all the rage in the Philippines.

4 Likes

I quite like one of their songs, the one they did on Razzmatazz, but it was a bit too 1982 for 1983 tastes.

5 Likes

Yeah but… I doubt the board had any real ethical concerns like worker displacement, IP rights, or that their autocomplete snake oil probably can’t deliver on their overvalued promises.

They seemed to be wrapped up in Rationalism/Longtermism nonsense, either because they’re true believers, it’s a good scare for regulatory capture, and/or because it’s a useful distraction from those real issues.

8 Likes

Well, at least my comment about him looking uncannily like Paul Reiser doesn’t look stupid. Which slightly distracts from the embarrassment at not getting the joke. tumbleweed

5 Likes

wait, what?!?

5 Likes

I’m not sure how this poor play of bad actors should be labeled. It’s not comedy, tragedy, satire or farce, but has elements of all.

There’s certainly no moral of the story.

4 Likes

I think “clown show” was coined for situations like this :smile:

7 Likes

I would posit this shenanigans had more to do in the end with Microsoft’s (and Altman’s) views towards open research than it has to do with safety. Google has significantly tightened their AI research, and there’s a growing sense that big tech is tightening their AI research assets to counter threats from other big and small tech on their products. Open research is the natural enemy, just as open code was in the 90s

9 Likes

What the heck?! I thought that you were joking!?

2 Likes

… apparently OpenAI is now a de facto subsidiary of Microsoft, even more than it was before

7 Likes