Same-sex civil unions supported by Pope Francis

Though that was the fear-mongering rationale many Americans used to try to keep Kennedy out of the White House.

4 Likes

This is also the only way to leave the catholic church. You are not allowed to just announce to them you are no longer catholic.

The church has about as much claim to arbitrating the legitimacy of unions as the state. If two people say “we are married” it’s pretty much good enough for me. As far as powers of attourney and financial arrangements are concerned, there are contracts for that.

It’s not a gang. If a person decides to just walk away and not to be Catholic anymore it’s not like there’s any kind of enforcement mechanism to keep them in the faith.

6 Likes

Yes but they still consider you catholic and claim you as such. I did not want to be considered catholic by anyone, much less rome, so I officially left the church and was rebuffed. I had to then tell them that I actively tried to convert Catholics to finally be removed.

1 Like

Elvis is the English equivalent of an Irish name (Ailbe), so it’s Elvises. There is even a Saint Elvis.

Papal infallibility has to be declared during the pronouncement for it to count, and Pope Francis is probably the least likely of all the popes to declare papal infallibility.

8 Likes

I know lots of Ailbhe’s (including an aunt) and they are all girls. I’ll be meeting one on a Zoom pub tonight and shall be sure to call her Elvis.

7 Likes

Start your own church. Declare all Roman Catholic clergy to be members ex officio. See how they like it.

Plus, the next time anyone asks you rhetorically “Is the Pope Catholic?” you can say, “Well actually …”

4 Likes
6 Likes

7 Likes

Is that what you think I was doing? Really?

A bit like how Mormons retrospectively convert their ancestors.

Is it Yoruba law that you have to be related to people buried on land in order to own it? Anyway whoever does it they have an out which is an adoption ceremony for ancestors.

What the Catholic church stopped doing, in 2010, was amending baptismal certs in line with people’s wishes. I think it was in part due to a large surge in interest in the process in Ireland. It had generated a lot of buzz. I think that they believe that baptism cannot be revoked but “not being a Catholic” any more doesn’t actually have a high bar, you just don’t consider yourself one and you aren’t.

There certainly is an argument that churches are data controllers and that 2 of the main rights you have under GDPR are the right to see your data and also the right of rectification. I imagine that case law would have some special provision for churches to break the law…

5 Likes

I like SuperPope. He’s slowly gently carefully trying to steer a broken-down barge of bigots into a new century.*

*I’m an atheist with no religious roots, but if anyone is going to move this barge, he’s got the best shot so far.

6 Likes

People did bring up his Catholicism. They also used it at various points in the past to pass legislation to keep out more Catholics and Jews. And the KKK did target Catholics and Jews in the south. The latter two events were both in the 20th century.

Obviously, most people today don’t see Catholics as some threat, but the whole line of thinking that Catholics blindly follow the Pope and are therefore unfit for public office in “Protestant” American still sometimes rears it’s ugly head. I very much doubt Barrett will parrot the Pope if it doesn’t align with her obviously more bigoted world view.

6 Likes

Half my dad’s family would beg to differ.

Apparently not. Sorry I misread.

3 Likes

Private contracts between individuals are not enough as long as tax benefits are accorded to people in a civil union – at that point there has to be recognition by the state, for obvious reasons. There’s a legitimate discussion to be had about whether those benefits should exist and whether they should be limited to married couples, but as it stands the only thing that conservative and Libertarian bigots hate more than LGBTQ people getting access to tax and estate benefits associated with civil union is the idea of losing them themselves.*

[* except for those anti-statists who believe all taxes should be abolished, but they’re morons of a different sort]

8 Likes

Private contracts won’t help you with government controlled rights and benefits. Good luck saying you have a right to not testify against your partner or to their pension or spousal social security credits.

Did the marriage equality discussion never happen?

10 Likes

For the worshippers of private corporations, I’d also add that private contracts won’t help much with insurance companies. If I made a private civil union contract with a friend who has top-tier health insurance and then demanded to be put on his plan as a family member on the basis of a private contract, guess what the for-profit insurance company would say…

The people who claim that private contracts can replace the state (which will then supposedly exist only to enforce contracts) remind me of Michael Scott marching into the office to loudly “declare” bankruptcy.

11 Likes

I don’t think there should be any tax bennefit to being married so my feelings on this stem from that. Taxes are to pool our money to pay for services for our collective bennefit and not for the state to incentivize behavior they like and diss incentivize what it does not.

To be clear I am speaking of them still considering you a catholic as opposed to what a person considers themselves.

This one is a problem, to be sure. Maybe marriage becomes more of a self registration as opposed to going to the government hat in hand to ask for permission that can be denied based on their moral ideals.