Pope Francis fires right-wing Texas bishop

Originally published at: Pope Francis fires right-wing Texas bishop | Boing Boing

9 Likes

A particularly nasty ultra-conservative priest. I expect a masterful piece of “dearie me” concern tr0ll contortion over this from Cardinal Douthat in the NYT.

The thing about the Catholic Church, which American Catholics often have trouble with, is that someone is in charge of it.

They’re ultramontane when a right-wing creep like Ratzi is the big boss, but suddenly populists when the Pope stops “hurting the right people”.

Anyhow, vaya con dios, Strickland.

19 Likes

b3af9e21-5a5a-4e96-a7f4-2b0f1766ce66_text

18 Likes

Maybe there will be two popes again! Schism is always an option.

11 Likes

Perhaps the former bishop will start exploring the exciting world of sedevacantism.

Or perhaps conclavism would be more his thing, because it involves setting up an alternative electoral college.

10 Likes

I assume that there’s some outfit that is to catholic theology what ‘sovereign citizens’ are to constitution law that he can go hang out with?

12 Likes

See my post immediately before yours.

8 Likes

craiyon_093004_Pope_Francis_on_throne_of_swords_from_Game_of_Thrones

The Game of Holy Thrones

12 Likes

Avignon, Texas is sure to exist

ETA:

15 Likes

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

11 Likes

One of the first things Francis did when he took the job was ditch the throne, so if anything he’s more like the High Sparrow.

IMG_0589

21 Likes

Of course this is a thing

11 Likes

To be precise ultraconservatives were against all popes starting with Paul VI. Even with the anti-commie John Paul II there were some traditionalist groups against.

About Ratzinger I’m not sure that at the end all iss really different compared to Bergoglio: rememeber that for a long time they were both alive toegheter and they talked about a lot. The fact one looks like Palpatine and the other look Uncle Gigi, is only a surface.

9 Likes

Vatican II certainly soured American conservative Catholics on their previously unquestioning obedience to the Pope in Rome. A lot of them still aren’t over it all more than half a century later. However, they did see some not completely unfounded hope that Ratzi would roll back a lot of the changes that came into effect in 1965.

6 Likes

Or this guy:

(a beautifully written, and wonderfully weird, set of books)

5 Likes

Given the Church’s affection for ceremony, I imagined that a Bishop’s firing would look like this…

shame-ring

6 Likes

Wasn’t it supposed to be that Jesus guy?

4 Likes

He resigned and gave control to Peter. It’s mostly gone downhill since then.

12 Likes

The papers here reported that it was perhaps triggered a this pint because the Texan guy opposed the Pope’s recent statement that trans people could be baptised, and other LBGQT+ policy statements. Some sort of last straw?

5 Likes

It sounds like he was doomed regardless of the Vatican’s statements on LGBTQIA+. He fucked around for years, now he is finding out.

9 Likes