San Francisco Airport shuts down food concession due to strike; other airports are next

Originally published at: San Francisco Airport shuts down food concession due to strike; other airports are next | Boing Boing

3 Likes

strike over staffing numbers and wages

If only there were a solution that could address both grievances simultaneously…

Right now, on my wage, I make so little that I couldn’t even buy one meal at this airport, where hamburgers are $22

Is the administration of the airport really so stingy that they don’t mandate significant discounts for their workers? They shouldn’t be subject to the “captive audience” ripoffs that passengers have to deal with.

4 Likes

Working in an Airport is a hellscape, it’s payed slavery.

2 Likes

It’s not that the burgers are overpriced for employee lunches, but simply another example that the workers don’t have income parity with the people in the area. Service people are working 60+ hour weeks and trying to compete for rent in an area completely overrun by people with six and seven figure incomes.

4 Likes

I understand that, but $22 for a fast-food burger is not something most people, even those who live in the area or who fly, can afford. Usually employees and staff in airports and amusement parks and other such venues get discounts, so the detail struck me as odd.

2 Likes

No doubt the food worker strike will make the flight attendants’ jobs harder as well. Airplane passengers can be grumpy and uncooperative under the best of circumstances but now quite a few of them will be hangry too. A lousy situation for everyone involved.

1 Like

Well then for everybody’s sake let’s hope that the airport strikes a deal sooner rather than later.

1 Like

The concessions employees aren’t employees of the Airport; but of the private companies that run them individually. Some Cities have imposed wage requirements on those employees. In PA - the state is the only gov allowed to set the minimum wage. Philadelphia got around that only for the airport as it’s governed by fed regulations.

Employees don’t get discounts there. Airport employees, concession employees, airline, construction, tsa - none of them.

A very few airports run their concessions directly. Those employees would be airport employees.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.