San Francisco breaks its e-cigarette habit

Clear cutting rain forests to satisfy our growing need for coffee beans.
Probably more harmful then a little whiff of vape juice.

4 Likes

SF hasn’t been the progressive utopia for quite some time. It’s all con-libertarian techbros now. There’s no flowers in Peter Thiel’s or Travis Kalanick’s hair.

I’ll bet you’re all het up about those kids with their hippity hop too.

5 Likes

vape juice

7 Likes

This vape debate is so much ironic pissing and moaning from the species that invented numerous methods for and may nearly kill themselves off burning, various hydrocarbons en masse for basically a century. Those vape sticks are must be really deadly.

I think there’s a bit of a contradiction here in the fact that while nic-juice is verboten, marijuana e-cigs remain fully legal. The last time I was in San Francisco I bought an MJ vape pen made by formerly Jul related company Pax. And it’s great.

In short, it’s not the delivery method, it’s not the drug, it’s the enforcement of legal distribution. Keep e-cigs out of the hands of those under 18, and let everyone else make their own decision about what to use and how.

7 Likes

Cutting a bitch if we don’t get our coffee?

That’s… a very good point actually. But that is indeed a surmountable problem I imagine…

2 Likes

…and get back to me when they ban petrochemical gas stations and combustion engines. And farken scented candles. And patchouli…I swear, I could track someone wearing that in the grocery store …it’s like it leaves a streak of colored vapor in the air to me. And it burns my eyes.

/not a werewolf from discworld I swear.

2 Likes

Although I actually detest coffee. For about the past 35 years once a year or two I try someone’s coffee (good coffee, bad coffee, espresso, cappuccino, whatevs…) only to discover that it still tastes like ass—and not the good ass, mind you—more for the lot of you. :slight_smile: I will stick with mixing steam and leaves.

2 Likes

Isn’t the same ‘smoke’ used at Raves, Discos and "smoke machines’ for Halloween houses. Or even performances of Hamlet?

Typically, fog is created by vaporizing proprietary water and glycol-based or glycerin-based fluids

Isn’t glycol based fluids the ‘smoke’ generator on ecigs?

No wonder some ecigs get Rave reviews.

2 Likes

But tobacco control has dramatically reduced cigarette smoking from a prevalence of about 50% in the late 60s, to where we are today at about 14%. Given that cigs kill 1 in 2 people who use the products as directed, and that the neurobiology of addiction means the tobaco companies have to try and addict kids, the savings in healthy years, and in economic costs are massive.

Prohibition (tobacco illegal to use) is one thing, tobacco control (prohibitions and tight regulations on marketing, along with public anti-marketing campaigns) are another, and they’ve have been very effective.

5 Likes

Here’s the thing.

It makes liberals look stupid.

Next up on things to be banned sugar in soft drinks, BBQ Joints, Chineese places using Charcoal kamado or webber grills in your back yard, Pizza places using Charcoal…firewood for your fireplace in your tony 4mil Victorian house near Nobb hill.

This is pissing in the wind for doing things that could actually make a difference. Like banning cars in the city. Banning airports, petrochemical trains and buses, and dry cleaners. Or Coffee Shops. (Tho ideally that will happen naturally with no ‘ban’)
This is just environmental and public health ‘theater’ to put on a show that ultimately means nothing but the show. And doing stuff this way…just makes you look as foolish, like the entire city is a HOA.

1 Like

Is this an example of of “pissing in the wind” or of “things that could actually make a difference”?

2 Likes

This is some next-level whataboutery.

7 Likes

Agreed. I was reacting to the wide array of vaping flavours available, which tempt people to explore them all or treat their choice as a public statement. If e-cigarettes were all, say, a standard inoffensive mint, that’d eliminate a selling point.

I suppose that’s my point: I’d eliminate anything actively attractive or marketable about vaping, beyond “this is a way to stop smoking”.

1 Like

If only if there were an alternative beyond these two unhealthy, addictive, filthy, annoying and costly choices of behavior.

1 Like

I agree, it is very helpful for trying to end addiction.

On the topic of “them” and fossil fuel vehicles:

Not enough, but something.

I vape, and it adds real value to my life.

Puublic urination is a much more pleasurable habit, for everyone involved.

Nicotine gives one the benefits of focused attention while simultaneously relieving anxiety.

For a couple of seconds during your smoke break. All the rest of the time it works the other way around.

It also stimulates the same brain circuitry involved in motivation and reward,

Proof: it hacked your brain.

3 Likes

From the article you cite:

Philadelphia region shoppers bought almost 1 billion fewer ounces of soda in 2017 than in 2016, according to the study.

According to Wikipedia, the Philly metro area has a population of about 6.1 million. So let’s invite our friend, Mathematics, into the discussion.

One billion divided by 6.1 million is about 164 ounces per year. Suppose that half of that amount is sugar or HFCS sweetened sodas (the tax was on diet sodas as well. Stupid that.)

So per capita, Philadelphians bought slightly less than 1/4 ounce of sweetened sodas per day as compared to before the tax.

Whoopee.

2 Likes

As long as “neither” is a personal choice vs a government mandate.

1 Like