San Francisco Super Bowl: crooked accounting, mass surveillance and a screwjob for taxpayers & homeless people

Foot traffic?

Is the Muni only tasked with vehicular traffic? Does that include bicycles? Who deals with pedestrians?

Those quibbles aside, public money for these private spectacles is a bread-and-circus boondoggle of the highest order. Fucking waste. And I say that without any bowlderizing.

3 Likes

It may be normal, but it ain’t right.

1 Like

[citation needed]

[citation needed] Especially this one. I mean, it’s not like there are two guys intentionally knocking each other bloody and trying to induce brain damage, but that’s usually the result of this high-impact chess game, anyway. Why not just kill a f****g bull on the field, while they’re at it?

6 Likes

When I read the article and saw Rep Scott Wiener has asked the city to steal their tents I was shocked at the idea of stealing or destroying private property.

Then I read the linked article and then I read the letter. He never suggested stealing or damaging tents owned by homeless people. That was editorial hyperbole. The letter in question is exactly the kind of thing a city supervisor should be writing. He takes the various city departments to task asking how many tents are there and how may people in the tents, how many beds are available, what is the plan to expand capacity, is there a safety risk, what’s being done to connect tent dwellers to city services for the homeless, what barriers are there for getting them in to housing, and finishes by asking that if there are enough beds available, what will be done to remove the tents - not steal and not destroy…

How does asking pointed questions of our city services equate to stealing tents?

2 Likes

And less sex among the athletes one would presume.

Is that a legal opinion?

Welcome! Your disappointment will be logged.

2 Likes

A lot of south bay cities have eaten their green space, but they’ve still not built in a sensible or adequate way. Cupertino, which is about to add thousands of new jobs when the new Apple campus is done, has decided that no new residential buildings shall be taller than two stories.

They could build several stories of apartment on top of The Oaks shopping centre, but they won’t because people who have bought $4mil bungalows are terrified of the consequences they would face if that property went underwater.

This is terrible city planning, but is great for the hotel biz and a few lucky families that managed to buy rental properties before this stuff really kicked off. Meanwhile, the city keeps the density too low to quite accommodate reasonable public transport, so thousands of new workers will be driving their cars down the already wide and congested streets. That’s luxury!

But Cory didn’t make these statements. It is simply a summary and list of links from a full article (which is pretty much a summary of articles) linked to at jwz: Fuck the Super Bowl.
Maybe you should talk to to those guys?

ETA

Umm yeah you could go to the link… it is a bad summary yes but that’s not Cory’s words thats from the article linked to about what Scott Wiener had to say about the homeless.

1 Like

I would be fairly amused at anyone telling jwz that his personal opinions are morally wrong.

I do want to watch, though.

2 Likes

By the way, welcome to BB.

3 Likes

May I suggest a fine piece of short fiction by Ursela K Le Guin, The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas7 for a somewhat metaphoric but extremely accurate and apropos description of the situation.

May I second that!

2 Likes

Ha ha ha.

Would you say that you’re disappointed in Cory and/or Boing Boing by extension?

3 Likes

to whom? The fans of his professional fiction career?

Who will think of the children!!!

Do you see the sick, defamatory game of telephone this is?

I do see what you’re trying to do there, yes.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. That wasn’t a serious question. No one here but you is worked up about this (nor agrees with you that it was a hatchet job).

@OtherMichael, one for the list!

3 Likes

who made this appointment with you? Which is to say, your expectations, who gave them to you?

I don’t think it was Cory, I can say that I have had no such experience in having read him for over a decade now… so holding him to account for those expectations you have is probably not going to get you very far.

see also: the free ice cream complaints department

Aaaargh, I’m the ban-chronicler! @jlw keeps the canonical list of disappointeds.

(It’s easy to confuse us what with our last names and judeo-christian heritages and all. Plus, we both live near a coast.)

4 Likes

Quick question: What’s your opinion on East Rutherford, NJ? Because that’s where we had one two years ago and all the people that got hired for the one day event? Most of them were volunteers. People’s jobs require more than one day in order to actually be useful, and all that sweet, sweet money from visitors goes back to the NFL because the NFL requires that the local environment pay for them to come.

There are a lot of American institutions that we shouldn’t be proud of. Just because it’s ours doesn’t mean it’s good.

1 Like

2 Likes

I find the economics of college football to be more offensive, personally.

This is one of the few times where girls don’t get it worse. Cheerleading produced so many injuries that it was converted from a “sport” to “social activity” (or the like, may even differ from place to place) to remove/limit liability for the school. I don’t think that will work with football because at the college level the schools rely on that free labor to generate revenue. However it may work for high school - and they might need it due to the number of boys dying due to playing football. Let alone those who add to their lifetime concussion limit during a school sanctioned event - I guess it is only time (one would hope) before litigation changes the sport at least for those who are under 18.

Then again, flipping through NF the other day yielded a horrifying result “Friday Night Tykes” where wee lads are getting concussed left/right/center for the vicarious thrills of the adults around them. Disgusting.

1 Like

I still think SF should have said, “We’re thrilled to hear about your move to Santa Clara, but we will have to ask that you not use our name.” I’m pretty sure “The Santa Clara 49ers”, or even the “San Francisco Bay Area Western Peninsula 49ers” would have pretty much killed the franchise.