San Francisco's bike lines have become Uber's pickup/dropoff zones (and the cops don't care)

This whole conversation should be somewhere other than this thread. The limit has been raised before, but there is still a cap. There is also a higher cap for Regulars. That being said, it still doesn’t function well with caps, and we should probably clear out of the Uber / Bicycle lane thread if we’re going to carry on talking about it.

2 Likes

:heart_decoration:

That’s a link, too. :smiley:

Back on-topic: how are San Francisco cyclists handling the apparent fact that they have to ride where a gajillion trolley tracks threaten to take them down? Or is that still a problem even in the bike lanes?

There aren’t really all that many tracks that share road space with other traffic, and where they do there are almost always dedicated bike lanes or easy alternate routes. What with the steep hills, we’re used to not biking as the crow flies.

1 Like

I’m not a cop lover, but that may be oversimplifying it.

3 Likes

I had to re-read that sentence a couple of times before I worked out you were referring to public transport.

4 Likes

You’re right. It is oversimplifying a complex situation and I was expressing my frustration. I do genuinely fear the attitude expressed by far too many cops. They’ve got about the worst job I can imagine. With-out educating and compensating cops we’re just looking at an isolated group of people who can end up feeling untouchable and above the law. Tougher standards to qualify to become a cop would be one place to start. Weeding out those with a bully mentality would be another but it’s far easier to say than to actually implement such ideas.

2 Likes

There’s also this to consider:

2 Likes

“Protect AND Serve? Whoa, dude, that’s just too much.”

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. What’s with the 50 like limit though, is this like, per day or what?

Obviously it’s not just an issue in just SF. In my college town we have some bike lines along the main road through campus, as well as some amount of the main street (the part near campus, then after that they just occasionally paint a bike on the right car lane.) Anyway, being a university, the laws to not park in the bike lanes on campus totally go out the window on game days.

Sometimes I wonder if the fact that parking is free on campus on weekends is just a plausible sounding excuse for Parking Enforcement to not work and thus not ticket them.

2 Likes

Free parking on weekends at a university? I’m kind of envious. My local college and alma mater enforces all parking 24/7/365(6). It’s really frustrating because you have to pay $2.50 for an hour and then you look around and see thousands of empty spaces. You could park off-campus except they banned street parking. Grrr.

1 Like

Per day. Most people (including myself) rarely reach this limit, but some official regulars hit it every other day, if not daily.

Haha good catch- I didn’t understand what you were getting at at first. My mistake! Funny what our preconceptions can do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.