San Francisco's 'loss of the culture that made the city so great' results in couple buying multimillion-dollar 'suburban' home

Well done, TODAYS INTERNET WINNER !!! :laughing::v::beer::raised_hands::partying_face:

7 Likes

Yup. It’s only a matter of time until someone with inherited real estate connections uses these shells to leverage money from foreign organized crime and/or money from our nation’s enemies in order to run for president.

6 Likes

I was living in San Francisco, near the U.S. Mint, in a converted brownstone with my partner and our 7 poms. I went out one day to Haight Street to purchase some fresh baked goods for the family when I happened upon a black man pushing a shopping cart with a half-empty pickle jar in it.

The next day we moved to Bangor, Maine and opened a B&B. We now feel safe.

10 Likes

Please include insensitive cultural appropriation.

3 Likes

The next step will be for them to notice a couple of dark skinned or possibly poor people in their new community, and immediately start campaigning/complaining about how it used to be nice until all the city people starting moving out here.

Once a town reaches a point where a decent breakfast joint is no longer a viable business it is time to move away because the developers and profiteers have taken over.

1 Like

An enclave of a couple hundred $4MM+ homes sends their homeless to poor places like San Francisco.

3 Likes

Her husband, a biotech auctioneer,

Surely he is a biotech engineer?

6 Likes

San Francisco, it’s a nice place to pee but I wouldn’t want to live there.

5 Likes

I recall reading that the wife is Twitter’s event planner. I thought I was leaving that to you guys to gleefully point out – but perhaps I didn’t, or no one is surprised the events planner at twitter can buy a $5MM home because SF just doesn’t have enough culture.

6 Likes

Some cities are taking steps to discourage this practice. Changes at the federal level to prevent their old laundering methods from working in the future might also make a difference:

5 Likes

Good riddance.

That being said, I moved to the East Bay about 7 years ago and also felt that the SF of my mid thirties wasn’t the SF of my mid twenties. I think that’s just how people feel as they age though.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s one of those slimy bastards who sells enslaved replicants from Blade Runner.

5 Likes

There was a tragicomic campaign when BC first brought in a ‘Second Home Tax’ where various rich people were demanding that the tax be stopped. They received unsurprisingly little sympathy or support outside of the various country clubs.

3 Likes

I at least figured that I had a sense what

an event and food director for Twitter

did. These days, nothing.

2 Likes

Isn’t that one of the five or six jobs that people in the Hallmark movie universe have?

3 Likes

The Doves: “San Francisco is a kingdom of rust.”

3 Likes

Corollary: Everyone in NYC seems to think that the coolest period in NYC history was the right before they moved here. Hmmmm…

3 Likes

Ah yes, “downturn in business” is why people can’t afford rents in the City /s

5 Likes

Winner! [DING DING DING]

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.